Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Houses & Homes

Hi there everyone,

I have decided that my new topic after Christmas for my mixed rec/year1 class will be houses/homes under the title 'building blocks'.

Has anybody planned for this topic previously and could give me any tips/ideas please? This is my first year of these year groups.

I am going to include things like the stories Goldilocks & 3 bears, going on a bear hunt etc and have viewed previous threads along these lines and am also a little ok with ideas for science and materials and their properties, but generally on the whole anything would be appreciated!

Cheers

Lisa :)

this is the same topic i am doing next term. we tend the emphasise on trational tales this term, with castles, 3 little pigs house etc and look at jack and the bean stalk, growing things in the garden etc.

we look at different types of housing we live in, look at materials etc

thats about as far as i have got with my planning so far.

Fairy tale homes---castles etc.

Animal homes.

3 little pigs is not a good choice of you have a large proportion of Muslim children and you may need to be sensitive if you have any at all.

OOPs never thought of that shows how teaching in a mono-cultural area affects your thinking :o

• 3 weeks later...

Hi thanks - yes I found that only yesterday and printed it off to help with some of my planning this weekend! It's very good cheers though, they have the other topics in detail too.

I found the link through a previous thread about goldilocks 3 bears or materials I think that mentioned the norfolk planning site. Anyway it's all out there somewhere!

L x

Hi, my topic is also houses and homes for mixed YR/1 class, thinking of calling it Lets be Builders along similar lines to yourself. just started my planning today ( groan, groan) so will post any ideas, planning etc when I get going. Thinking of starting next week by introducing the topic through '3 little pigs.' look at different materials houses are made with, experiment building with wood, lego etc. e.g. can children build a new home for the pig. Thought about having an estate agent the week after, maybe send some disposable cameras home next week so children can take a picture of their home and then paint, draw, build a model of it at school. Also thought children could write descriptions about their house in style of an estate agents. taking photos of houses and homes around our village ( maybe organise a walk), put photos of different homes from different countries in the construction area for stimulus. Look at different homes children live in different countries in warmer and colder countries. ideas so far so will keep you posted, look forward to sharing!!!

cheers

:)

I write a letter to parents every week and give them an idea of how to support their child with what we're doing. When we did 'house and homes', I asked them to help their child to learn their house number and address and a draw a sketch of their house. They then returned to school and in the following week made a box model adding all the relevant detail, house number, correct number of windows, brick/stone... I made a simple acetate map of the locality of our school to project onto the display board and using the OHP we painted main roads, park, pub, health centre, bus stops etc onto a large display board. We then put our box models onto the map. Seemed to promote lots of talk between children. Hope that's useful!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)