Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Takes No Notice Of Our Folders

Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum.

What have your managers had to say about this? Are they in agreement with the EYDCP? I thought their role was to support settings not dictate to them, who decided the records have to be handed over? Have the parents agreed to the records been passed on?

I think sometimes the only way around the workload is to stop doing the unpaid stuff for a while. If you dont feel appriciated for the work you do you need to draw it to the managers attention, they may not understand how you feel or just how much work you do outside of the setting. What does your contract say about hours worked, does it include the unfortunate phrase 'any other duties'? Mine did!

I dont see the point in re-writing stuff for asthetic value alone, and I'd explian when you hand it to parents that because you're such a busy nursery and so keen to maintain interaction with the children the folders may not look as neat as they would like, but all the information is there. :o

A warm welcome from me too :o

Lots of sound advice already and empathy to your paperwork nightmare.

As the owner / manager of my preschool I am supernumery, therefore make myself available to cover for staff to have paid non contact time. Could you note down the times you are spending on 'home' work, start/finish time and what was accomplished, this would help the managers to see that given proper planning and a whole team approach from other staff it could be possible to plan how much non contact time would be needed. Once you have the information then ask for a staff meeting to discuss ways to reduce assessment / record keeping workload and see if a system can be discussed, agreed and devised for the new academic year.

I know this doesn't help now but may shine a light for the future by seeing that tasks may become more manageable.

The only positive thought is that as you work hard on your files, take a look and value the progress each child has made and give yourself a large pat on the back for being the one that enabled that progress to happen. xD

I would try to negotiate a more feasible time scale regarding the handover of work.

Just another note, when I tidy-up and complete all my childrens files I keep in mind that, to me, they are primarily a record of achievement for the child, to look back on in the future, and not for the benefit of parents or schools. The record of transfers ( 2 sides of A4) are sufficient for the schools and informs the parents of their childs current attainment levels.

Good luck.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)