Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fed Up And In Need Of Hols

Hello everyone

I've never posted on the forum before, but am so fed up I felt in need of some of the wonderful support I seen given to others :D

I started this year in a positive mood: last years class were now y1 and not my responsibility anymore, new class = fresh start, new TA who is lovely and a good friend - what could go wrong I thought?

Its now nearly Christmas and I'm fed up! Nothing is really going right. My class who started the year great are now going rapidly downhill, my FS coordinator is trying very hard to squash all my enthusiasm, not only have we had Christmas play rehersals for the past few weeks (reception do the christmas play because they look "cute") which is now boring my class and me to tears, but also reading assessments, writing assessments, cards and calenders to make! Is it like this for everyone else? I feel that I have had no time in the past three/four weeks to spend time with the children, play intervening (which although in theory is encourages in my school in FS, in actuality often is criticised when planning is looked at!) etc. Its the end of term and I feel I should have been able to spend time with the children talking about what happens, what they enjoy etc. Instead I have been putting out activities eg paper chains for independent activities which have then got wrecked one way or another because I or my TA havn't been able to spend time with it explaining it etc and then I end up getting cross and stressed!

This is a very negative post for a first post and I apologise but I am so fed up! No one cares about anything other than reading and writing and SATs in y2! My FS coordinator is useless (would really like to be back in the days when everyone sat at tables all day ). She tries her best I know, but she has no enthusiasm and drains any sparks of it from everyone else. I am often scared to put my opinions to her in case of her response - we all work around her.

Anyway I'm trying to think positively, holidays are nearly here (when I have to catch up on filing all my sticky labels!), I've just brought my last presents on Amazon and am nearly ready to celebrate (also looking forward to the TES jobs section next year to see if I can get somewhere better!)

sorry for the big moan :o

Amanda

oh dear xD im so sorry you two(big hug)

I dont work in a school but our pre-school used to be like that since taking over i feel i have out the fun back into it,by cutting down on the adult led activities,giving the children more choice(cards etc)

I dont know what to say :o

Hi Amanda,

A hot bath, glass of red, trashy novel and cheesey Christmas music -will not make your problems go away but will make you feel better or at least it works for me.

I HATE Christmas rehearsals. I don't rehearse much at all with my children and if it all goes wrong either ad lib like mad or invite the parents to sing. This means of course that my production is never as slick or as professional as some of my colleagues but my children always appear to enjoy themselves retelling the Christmas story.

love barb

hi Amanda and welcome.

Hope you feel better for getting all that off your chest. Sorry to hear that things are so bad though, just make sure you get a decent rest never mind sticky notes!!

And Clare, sorry to hear your situation hasnt improved.

i agree with posy - hang on in there nearly the hols, i go to sleep singing nativity songs and wake up with them..actully doing the play tomorrow and cannot wait till its finished, just the parties to get through then...... cant wait :D

Sorry to hear your having such a bad time of it.

We had our first nativty rehersal yesterday and the parents come to see it the end of next week, i have 3 more run throughs planned and thats it, what shall be shall be !!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully it will improve but yesterday was a shambles, child with behaviour problems ran around knocking down the scenery, other children running after him, another child decided they didn't want to do it, so sat on the floor and screamed. My mary decided she wanted to be an Angel not mary and 2 of the 3 kings want to be Angels, one angel wants to be a king. I said that was fine not a problem, parents aren't happy because they have done the costumes.

I quite like the idea of boy Angels, they even wanted to wear the costumes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, shall sleep on it, hope things improve for you

good luck with it all

I think that for many of us it is normal to feel very frustrated at this time of year. The feeling that somehow the awe and wonder and fun we should be having at this time of year is lost in too many rehearsals,and all the staff are tired and stressed after the longest term of the year. All the hassle with making sure records are up to date, worrying if everything will get done and then of course thinking about next term. Too much to do and not enough people to do it. Staff who usually get on really well all the time do get a bit stressed out and impatient with each other- the result of too much to do. Home-life is very busy at this time of year too. You are not alone. This must be even worse if you are having a difficult time with colleagues anyway.

Both of you have a good break over Christmas and dont do anything rash now, make decisions when you feel more relaxed.

Especially you Clare. Don't go over anyone's head or behind anyone's back, other than of course talking in confidence to someone on your SMT who will listen, or your union rep if they are likely to profer good advice, be discreet and supportive. You need someone to empathise as that always helps. I would advise against talking to Governors as this could backfire on you. They will always listen to and support their HT, and may not like the fact that you are going over his/her head. It is your HT's job to manage the day to day running of the school. It may be that you will decide that you need to move on if you are really unhappy. It will be their loss won't it? It is unlikely that they will move you to Y1 in the middle of the year- what about the Y1 teacher?

Clk7 Do you work with your manager all day or is your class seperate? If you are on your own most of the day just try to do your own thing, in your own room. You are in charge there and can give the children what they need- they are lucky to have you as you obviously care about them very much.

Sorry I can't help but I hope that it all turns out well in the end.

Sorry youre feeling so down must say Im relieved our nativity is over for another year.....tomorrow is the whole school carol concert in the village community centre and then only Christmas parties to survive before a huge sigh of relief. I love this time of year but it is hard work especially if you arent getting the support you deserve.

Hold on soon be holidays :D

Thank you for all your kind replies. Other I know have also said this time of year always makes them feel ratty too.

Anyway I've just decorated our Christmas tree, listtening to all the cheesy christmas songs so am feeling better now! Only 4 more days to go!

Amanda

Clare and Amanda sending virtual hugs to you both, I think we can all identify with aspects of your post, I don't know what I would do without the forum to let off steam, such a lovely group of people who know exactly how you feel and are keen to support each other, good luck it's nearly over!!!