Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

'festivals' Activity Suggestions Please

I have been called for a second interview for the position of Senior Nursery Worker for the Foundation Stage in a Day Nursery. This time I have to do a 30 minute activity with the children. I don't know how many children - I am presuming it may be the whole group (about 18) with help. I have to take in weekly plans which include my activity plan. The theme for this activity has to be 'Festivals'. Does anyone have any helpful ideas on what I could do please? The nursery is run by the PLA / Sure Start but most of the children would be of white British origin. They are aged 3/4.

That seems a bit woolly, if you don't mind my saying!

I suppose you could sit them down and talk about what festivals are, but that wouldn't be too exciting would it! xD

Could you take in lots of pictures/artefacts connected with the more well known festivals and take it from there? Sorry, not exactly got the WOW factor, but I think it's a bit of a vague subject, anyway. Whatever, something to think about...I might come up with more when my brain's more back in gear after recent illness.

Sue (anything for the sympathy vote :o )

Guest DeborahF

I agree with Sue -that's a very woolly title and not particulalry inspiring! I think I would just concentrate on one festival and do something around that. Or maybe have a theme of "light" and incorporate more than one festival, e.g. Diwali, Hanukkah, Christmas? You do need to plan something with the WOW factor though, the children won't be interested in sittiing listening to something about festivals for half an hour, you ned to have them up and involved in something.

Good luck - let us know what you decide to do! :)

Are you doing this before or after Christmas? If before that Christmas would be the obvious theme and you could do something about the different way we celebrate around the world. You could start with the 3 kings and 3 presents, then what children around the world have their xmas presents in,stockings,pillow cases, sabots, grass under the bed, christindl. I would have the objects for them.

you could talk about the birth of christ and xmas being a time for giveing and do a cicle time about who they would give a presetn to and why.

If it is after Christmas then look up the next festival- it could be Chinese New Year but I'm not sure exactly when that is next year.

Whatever it is I would make it short and snappy and have lots of objects for the children to handle.

I was going to say the same thing as you, Jacquie! Definitely go with the Christmas theme :D There is an interactive adent calendar on the Northumberland gfl site, which looks at the way Christmas is celebrated around the world (if you want inspiration).

Good luck :D

What about Christingles? I suppose it depends on how many children you have but you could make a Christingle with a small group and talk about the significance of each part linking it into Christmas.

Linda

PS Good luck!

Thanks for all your suggestions and helpful advice. I have actually decided not to go for this job for several reasons. The main one being it is full time in a full daycare nursery and I have only worked in a preschool setting (although we ran all day). I have elderly parents who live near who I have to help and I think I wiould struggle with full time. Thanks again for your help, I hope I have made the right decision.

Thank you Susan. I have also been really busy at this time of year in my present setting where I am the only staff member. (10 children registered).

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)