Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Humm And Buzz

hi all

doing mini beasts as a topic this half term.

next week its humm and buzz...

totally drawn a blank knowing ofsted are on my doorstep with what good group work to do with my 4yr olds if they come into my 15 minute key worker group ....

any ideas ??????

How many children do you have Hali and what sort of activities are you looking for? What sort of things do you do in your keyworker group?

Am having a think about this one!!!

Linda

hi

have between 6-10 children depending on the day, do all sorts of activities maths, lang & lit anything that i can fit in with the topic.

just want somthing simple but effective for Ofsted.

Hi

Bit of a pathetic attempt at reply but stiill!

At our recent Otsted the inspector was particularly impressed with an exceedingly messy painting activity. It wasn't intended to be quite sooooo messy but never mind. It was all about what happened to the paint when we added different things! It tied in withe senses and they touched, smelt etc a variety of things (allergy aware of course) We had flour, shampoo, herbs and cant remember the rest!

The children put paint directly on the table and chose what and how many things to add. They could choose from all sorts of things to mix with or use their hands. Some added one thing and very little of it and others chose all and lots of it. Having mixed it they spread it on the table and made a picture (again either with tools or hands) when they had finshed they put a piece of paper over the top and printed the result.

If you went down the creative path I could see lots of black and yellow paint and bees buzzing everwhere! Or maybe you could get a honeycomb for the children - great for language as if they have honey its probably out of a jar!

sorry not very helpful really but good luck and would love to hear how it goes

You can buy jars of honey with a honeycomb in it-I think I've seen it in Tescos. Then you could make sandwiches!

Linda

I know a circle physical game based round the poem isn't it funny a bear likes honey. Would be suitable for a small group of 5 + children. Only mentions buzzing in it though , you could make the person who steals the honey a bee though I guess ! Goes something like this.

Sit children in circle

Choose one to be Mr Bear.

Give 'Mr Bear' a jar to hold whilst sitting inside the circle.

Say the rhyme, Isn't it funny a bear likes honey buzz buzz buzz, I wonder why he does. Go to sleep Mr Bear.

Mr Bear falls asleep.

Choose a child to take the honey with out waking Mr Bear up, when they have it call to 'wake up Mr bear'

The child runs round the outside of the circle,

Mr bear wakes up and tries to catch them before they get back to their seat in the circle.

This works really well with pre-school children, they love the naughtyness of stealing the honey and the thrill of the chase.

hi

Thankyou geraldine for your post... did a dummy run on Friday much to the astonishment of my other staff members..... :o

it was fantastic... yellow and black paint, sequins, flour, rice, glitter and lots of messy fingers....... xD

we put paper over the top to make pictures and i took lots of photos to make it into a display... :)

thank you again :D

• 5 weeks later...

What about sorting some plastic mini beast shapes into those with 8/6/4/2/0 legs or pictures if you havent got any sorting shapes. I got a tube of them from ELC and have added to them from various places.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)