Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teaching Art To Reception

Looking through our spring planning we realised we were struggling with the art side of our curriculum -so we were wondering if anyone uses a particular scheme for teaching art to Reception or just really what you get up to - do you teach a particular theme each half term such as printing or tie it more into the children's interest or a topic? :o

Edited by suebee

Our Art themes are linked to seasonal celebrations/events and our topics but we also have 'free' drawing/painting available all the time. I would like to try to incorporate more links to famous artists though and am trying to do this but find it hard due to the way we work in our FSU

We do things like colour mixing and exploring different media as discrete lessons also look at the work of famous artists usually connecting it to other things happening in the unit .........we looked at Mattisse snail when we were exploring mini beasts and mondrain linked to shape for example

We have a focus art activity one day a week, usually following on from children's interests, plus all the normal free access stuff.

Once a term we have a week when we focus on an artist, the children then choose a picture they like and make their own representation, in whatever media they feel moved to use (this can sometimes help with that ticklish 'begin to show preference for a particular media...' or whatever the actual wording is!) We find this works well, there is always a lot of interest and the older children can revisit as much as they like through the week. The under 3s tend to drift off after a bit, but will sometimes make an attempt at a picture.

Sue

I think it's a case of focusing on what "art" is in the FSCG -

CD - exploring media and materials focuses on representing ideas, making choices, combining materials and using aesthetic judgements on their work

CD - Imagination focuses a lot on the adult role in developing imaginative language, involving yourself in their play to model and using paint/pictures etc to express ideas/opinions about their own work

CD - responding to experiences expressing and communicating ideas looks specifically at how others have represented ideas so that's where your other artists come in and again has a big focus on vocabulary to be able to express ideas/opinions about other's work

pps 118 - 119 give a very clear breakdown of what teaching of creative skills in FS looks like so that is where i start along with the what the practitioner need to do pages for the strands above. Then the creative bit for us is making that all come alive at the level they're working at!!There is a lot in there about a very specific role for adults in modelling and demonstrating vocab/techniques, linking CD to role play, talking with children about their ideas and supporting them in realising what they want to achieve. Some of that is planned focus work - like looking at Matisse for example (an old fave) but I think it also has a dynamic that is about Adults being very clear about how to support when a child is doing something - how to support awareness of making aesthetic decisions about a piece of work for example - what types of questions do you ask? Or building in work on joining because that is where a child is getting stuck and they don't have the skills or using the right type of vocab with them to help them express ideas with more precision.

I think sometimes we think about art in terms of a product rather than a creative process which adults can be rather scared of if they don't think of themselves as "good at art" so we miss artistic opportunities, just looking at the world from a different view point is also part of that creative process, so getting children to talk and see - light catching things in different ways - the spider web covered in dew for example - do we talk about the intrinsic beauty of it, patterns and shapes around them, juxtapositions of things, everyday design around them..............photography is very good for this.

I would also see strong links to art through

CLL:speaking and listening, role playing and storytelling

PSE: confidence, perseverence, self awareness

PD/KUW: Using tools and developing joining techniques

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)