Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sleep Walking

hi

I was wondering if I can pick your brains. I had a parent come to me today because her daughter has started sleep walking. She mentioned it a few weeks ago when is had just started, but came to speak to me today because it is happening every night and she wanted to know if I knew anything about sleep walking. I had to admit to knowing little/nothing, so I thought I'd ask about it on here. I suggested that the doctor or health visitor may have some ideas, but that I would also do some research. The little girl is often tired at school and I assume that it is probably related, but other than keeping her safe when she is walking around the house, I don't know whether there are particular things to be concerned about.

Hope you can shed some light

Elfy

x

sorry dont know much about it

except I used to do it as a child into teenage years....even moved my furniture around at night in my sleep!! got up one morning to bump into a chest blocking the door!!. My parents put bells up so they could hear me when I left my room to make sure I was safe, I could hold a full conversation rationally and still be asleep. Still talk occasionally even now.

My son also used to sleep walk, we just coped and made sure he was safe, he was hyperactive so we assumed it was to do with this, he has never slept well , no more than 12 in 24 since birth in short bursts.

It was never linked to anything in our case and decided it may be hereditary as my mother also sleep walked as a child, as did my husband but not to the same extreme as I did..

Inge

I did some research on sleeping problems for my son and some children at pre-school.

Sleep walking is the same as night terrors which are different to night mares.

Night terrors they are asleep but seem to be awake. nightmares they wake up when they are afraid.

Sleep walking is the same as night terrors but they are not afraid, they just wander in their dreams. apart from making them safe so they can't hurt themselves there's not much you can do.

They usually grow out of it.

Tell the mum to watch what they eat and keep the caffeine drinks to a minimum. even a cup of milk at night can lay heavy on their stomachs. keep night routine as calm as possible. It might be a few months that she does it but they should grow out of it. my sone had night terrors, he used to look wide awake and screaming at the top of his voice. It used to take us a good ten minutes or so to calm him down and then he would wake up. Just tell the mum to gentle guide the child back to bed but don't try to wake them. talk quietly agree with things but point the child in the direction of the bed and just let them get back to bed slowly and gently. they might wake up afterwards when their in bed or they might not.

Wish them good luck and hope it doesn't last for to long, may be try a camomile tablet before they go to bed to relax them.

reading stephs post reminded me, we used to give my son chamomile tea in the evening which seemed to reduce the walking, and yes we just told him we were taking him back to bed and guided him there , he never woke up.

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)