Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scared Beyond Belief!

Hiya everyone,

I posted on here a couple of days ago about doing too many hours but right now that's the least of my worries.

I had half day off for christmas shopping (work/life balance thing) yesterday so I met my 2 sisters in law and Freya (2 and a half year old daughter) at a huge shopping centre close to home.

All was going well, Freya was playing up a bit because her aunt's spoil her rotten and I'm the big bad mummy who enforces rules etc!

Anyway, the 2 aunts were in a shop and I was trailing behind with Freya - she had a small tantrum because she didn't want to walk and so I ignored her (as I always do) held her hand and made her walk.

Because she was struggling to get on the floor she slipped and banged her head on my knee as i was walking... 5 seconds later we got outside the shop and I bent down to talk to her....as soon as I got to her level her eyes rolled back in her head, she went all floppy and her mouth clamped shut. Her head began to shake, her lips turned blue and spit and all sorts were coming out...I PANICKED (as you do) and shouted for my sister in law to come and help (she used to be a nurse)... I was screaming Freya's name... shouting at passers by to ring 999 and generally working myself up... anyway, Freya came round after about 10 seconds and 2 first aiders came to check her (and me) out. My 2 sisters in law were really calm (a bit too calm - I think they were doing it for my sakes cos I was all over the place!

It was the scariest thing in my whole life (apart from when she was born) - for all the childcare training I've had - first aid and dealing with emergency situations it all went out of the window and I panicked so much.. it was horrible, scary and every time I close my eyes I see her convulsing.

We went to the hospital - waited a stupid amount of time before I was told she was fine and probably had just held her breath in a temper and had took it too far. This I don't agree with cos Freya has never held her breath and was quite happily crying until she convulsed. (if you know what I mean)

I am still feeling guilty because I banged her head with my knee and as I type it's coming back to me what happened before the fit (i blanked a lot out).....anyway, the hospital said that the impact on her head and the place where it hit her wouldn't cause a fit but I'm not so sure... She was complaining (through the tantrum) that her head hurt.

feel like the worst mummy in the world.

Anyway, i kept her off nursery today and I phoned in to work and she's not been well today. high temperature, diarrhoea (spelling?) and a cough and cold. she has dark circles under her eyes and just looks really unwell....

I just wanted to off load - thanks for listening!

Kate

Kate,

That must have been awful for you and those around you.

Don't beat yourself up about it though, you were just doing what any other mum would have done in that situation and it was just a pure accident that she banged her head.

I'm not a mum so I can't imagine how you felt and still feel, but if the hospital were happy with your daughter, I'm sure that things were okay to release her. If there was any doubt, they would have kept her in for observations.

Please try and relax!

Sending hugs your way ((( :) )))

RB x

VIRTUAL HUGS FROM ME TOO KATE!!

Most of the time we have guilt about things - it's part of being a parent, really don't feel bad, you know you are a lovely mum, what a scarey experience, I think when something like this happens you have all sorts of emotions to go through to get over it, hang on in there.

I agree with Running Bunny :D Don't worry.

It does sound to me as if your daughter my have been holding her breath - hence the turning blue etc and the rapid recovery. I'm sure it's just coincidence that she is unwell today - or maybe she was a bit under the weather yesterday which is why she didn't want to cooperate?

Take care x

Kate, Big hugs coming your way, I can only reiterate what everyone else has said but also if you are worried seek more advice. Return to A&E or phone your doctor or emergency surgery if you feel you need to.

As ASPK/ Fox has suggested she may very well have been sickening yesterday which is why she refused to walk but you can not beat yourself up on a maybe, dont go there but do get more help if you need it.

Take care.

Big Hugs from me too.

You did (panic) and feel (guilty) like any other loving, caring, experienced, would die for, mother would. It is the scariest feeling in the world when we feel we are unable to 'make it better' even if it is only for a few minutes.

Agree that if you are still worried, phone NHS direct, or your doctor.

Her head may have been hurting due to a high temperature which is hard to recognise during a tantrum. My grandson had quite a few fits, from the age of 2 yrs to 4 yrs, bought on by having a high temperature. My friends daughter used to hold her breath and pass out 'every' time she had a tantrum!. The first time I witnessed it I was really scared, my friend, being used to it, said, "don't worry she'll get up in a minute."

I too don't think the accidental knock to the head would have caused the fit.

Have some cuddle-up time together, banish any feelings of guilt, I am sure she will soon feel better and will certainly forget the incident before you ever will. :o because you care.

Peggy

love to you both x Let me tell you tho of when my boys were growing up,my eldest cut his hand outside,climbing trees or somthing it was quite deep.I only had one neighbour (were farmers)she came round in the commotion(me)we washed his hand under the tap of which he fainted and fitted,I was hysterical I called the ambulance and his dad who came runing from the fields!!!!He heard me!'Hes just fainted'he said.'no he had a fit'next thing we heard nee naw nee naw 'you havent?'came my hubbys reply :oxD The ambulance men were very good and took both my son and me and our baby who happened to be in middle of breast feed to hosp to get his cut seen too.hubby followed in car with middle son.Now it isnt half as bad as a expeience you went thru with your little girl altho i do have a son who fell off bunk bed(found out years later he was pushed!)and knocked himself out.I didnt handle that well either.Sorry im digressing the moral of my story is......I left it to my neighbour to deal with I WENT TO PIECES.I have been in childcare a long time and I am known for my calm way of dealing with such emergencies(we had one last week at work)but when its your own your emotions kick in,SO PLEASE dont beat yourself up about it. :)

In the past I have lost the hospital through panicing and taken double the time to get there, but that was with a friends daughter, I dont tend to panic when it's my own children.

Guilt? Got that in bucket loads, oldest son is having physio treatment for an injury he received 4 yrs ago. I didnt take him to the GP for 2 weeks because I said he had 'growing pains'. I think he also broke his collar bone once but knowing the hospital wouldnt do anything anyway I didnt take him for an x-ray, just gave him a sling and loads of extra pillows to sleep with, but you must keep that quiet because I really did feel awful about that! :o

Hope you and your little girl are feeling loads better. :D

I am amazing with other people's chidren but always panicked with my own. I think that is the most natural reaction caused by extreme anxiety, concern and love so you were just doing what comes naturally. We have all been there.

As Peggy said a high temperature can cause a convulsion, febrile convulsions I think they are called, and if you daugher wasn't feeling well then perhaps that was it. I would go to the Doctor and talk about what happened as he may be able to reassure you. He will be sent a report from the hospital, I would imagine, for Freya's records. If you are really concerned he may refer you to a paediatrician. Better to ask and be reassured than worried all the time.

Thinking of you both.

I hope both you and your daughter are feeling better today...................and everyoone else is right...........DON'T beat yourself up about it!! Can I also add, DON'T treat Freya any differently because of what happened, either, you don't want to start a cycle of being too easy on her because you worry about this happening again! Just act as you always do, it's much the best for her and will help her to get over the whole incident quickly.(give her an extra cuddle today though..........that's allowed, and it's really for YOU :) :) ) And I'd also say don't be too harsh on yourself for forgetting the first aid stuff........when it comes to those we love, it's almost impossible to think clearly in these situations...................i worked in a hospital before I took on the preschool work......so have dealt with loads of blood and gore.............BUT when my own daughter got knocked down I went into total panic until it was clear she'd be ok!

Thank you so much for all your words of support and wisdom, and guilt-ridden stories of injured children!!

Freya is still a bit under the weather today but she went to nursery today and had a whale of a time playing with her friend and reading books (she's a book worm!)

I'm not treating Freya any differently because of her fit - in fact, she has been a little monster tonight and she's gone to bed without a story because she was kicking and wouldn't stop!

when i was at work today it was coming back to me what happened (i blanked it all out you see,, always do with nasty things!)........she didn't hold her breath, she was just holding her head and whingeing! Those feelings of guilt have mostly gone. I had a lovely lovely day with her and Andy yesterday, we played and went out for dinner. we had a sleep and watched some tele, played with her toys and had sausages for tea (at her request!)

so once again, thank you for all your love and encouragement... every now and then I fall off the 'confident mummy' shelf and just need a hand back up..

cheers mi dears

x x x

Kate