Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy Strands And Planning

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice as I'm a little confused about our current literacy planning. At the moment in our medium term plan we link our activities to the literacy strategy; to sentence, text and word objectives.

Our literacy co-ordinator has just given us the new literacy strands (12 in total) and they look quite straightforward, my question really is how does anyone refer back to them within their planning. Our co-ordinator is lovely but she says she isn't sure how we indicate them in our planning and the head has told her we don't need to work from them yet??

:o

Can anyone help??

P.s if anyone wants to see our current planing I'll gladly attatch it.

Thanks in advance

Jane

Hi Jane,

All I can tell you is that our Literacy Coordinator and our local LEA state we don't need to work from them as we have our own framework. My planning refers to the ELG statements and not national currculum. Every setting is different though and i'm sure you will find your own way. :)

I use the ELGs as FSGC is statutory although I had matched ELGs to NLS in my longterm planning, which now needs updating although I understood the 2 would correlate more easily? NLS is not statutory although your school may require you to use it.

The strands all link to the eyfs areas of CLL and the statements are either from the draft EYFS document in the 60 months bracket (so presumably subject to any changes from that) or are early learning goals so there isn't a real conflict - you will still plan from where the child is at, using the EYFS as a framework working towards the ELGs which the framework recognises. THe eyfs will be your statutory document and the revised frameworks help you see how those statements fit with Y1 etc which will REALLY help with transition I think. So I wouldn't panic yet cos you don't yet know what the EYFS looks like.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)