Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

In-house Training

Just wondering if anyone else does any. We have 3 staff training days a year (in addition to all the training and workshops we do separately) that I either deliver myself or we have someone from Care and Education (as was) in.

I was thinking..... if anyone else did deliver their own, we could do some sharing. What do you think?

We have five a year-one on the last day of each half term except the Christmas one. We tend to spend half of it training and the other half as a staff meeting or all training.

I think pooling ideas would be good. So far we have looked curriculum areas and I had hoped to do B23 but haven't managed it yet.

Linda

I have 5 staff members doing NVQ3's at the moment and we work with aan assessment centre so they come in and do the assements and I do the training. they are finding alot easier working through each unit and discussing it and coming up with their own answers rather than being lectured on how things should be done. they are all developing their own ways.

It also means that we can cover behaviour management etc. even things like risk assessments. there is alot to be said for in house training.

They meet every week one afternoon for a couple of hours and it also means that they keep up with the work.

I can also bring into it any problems that have arisen during the week and discuss it with them.

I like it its informal but instructive.

I used to do a day a term staff development, but now only have myself and daughter as staff so may not continue, but thereagain..................... I find them very useful.....

previous subjects were National Standards, 5 outcomes (including sef), subjects relating to our QA scheme, ie: healthy foods, and on the last one we went through the Core skills. :D

future ones will most probably incorporate Business Plan, new EYFS ( when completed) and feedback from new Child Protection training I shall be going on soon.

Good idea to share Pandemonium, what area's have you previously covered?

Peggy

Our opening terms include an extra week to cover for these days-so we are open to the children for 38 weeks and these days make us up to 39.

Linda

I thought the training days were part of the funding agreement?

We have done SEN, IEP workshop, SEF, observations and assessment and I'm doing Physical play this month.

What made me think of it was that I am doing C+G 7302 (delivering learning - adult tutoring) and we have to do a 20 minute micro-teaching thing. I'm planning it and thought after all this hard work I'd like others to get the benefit if there was any!!

I'm doing the 6 week plan I have to do on the Foundation Stage and aimed at parent/carers who want to help their children at home but think they can't. How many times have they told you 'oh we just play at home, I don't teach him anything'?

So my microteaching is a snippet matching stepping stones to areas and then brainstorming what can be learnt from an everyday activity like going shopping.

Phew

In Kent we were funded for inset days, could be used for wages, until the code of practice delegated conditions were withdrawn mid Autumn term, so for Spring, not funded. :o

Pandemonium, good luck with your C&G, are you doing it with PLA?

Definately agree a lot of work goes into planning and I am sure yours will be useful to many. :)

and others will be useful to you too :)

I just got a flyer from PLA advertising their C&G course, plus vacancies for tutors. I did C&G part 1 with PLA then went straight into second year of Cert Ed. I must admit I do miss adult tutoring, and I am seriously thinking of applying to do maybe one day a week ( which really means 3 days - planning, delivery and marking)

Good luck with your course. :D

Peggy

I would go for it peggy your a born teacher :) the world will be a better place for it.OMG look at the time better get to work.See ya :)

Thanks Andreamay, hope you weren't late for work. :D

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

Well I kind of survived the micro-teaching. I was quite poorly and could barely speak which didn't help! Coupled with the fact that we had heard 3 days previously that my FIL was really ill in intensive care...

Anyway, I'm just writing some training for tomorrow :o I do like to do things at the last minute!! Thought I'd attach the 2 I have on my pc. I delivered the observations one to my assistants and it seemed to be effective! The physical play one is being done tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes. I'm writing one on extending learning at the moment as we have 4 new staff and only one is level 3 and we're finding a lot of staff chat but not so much chat with children... xD

Facilitator_notes.doc

Physical_development_handout.doc

Three_points.doc

Facilitator_notes.doc

handout.doc

THANKS FOR SHARING. :D

I have a work placement student who will benefit with the obs training, thanks.

I look forward to seeing your 'extending learnng' training materials.

I will search out some of my training resources to share too, promise sometime in 2007 xD:o

Peggy

Oooh it sounded a bit ambitious didn't it? Extended Learning... well it went OK (although I got a phone call towards the end from dh to say he had to go to his dad who died that day... :o )

I hope the staff that needed to think about their practice did so and I hope that the ones who are doing ok will now do better. Time will tell!

For the game, laminate or stick to card. Cut the strip so you have a statement and a stepping stone on each strip. Game is observation-stepping stone and game 2 is example of way to promote achieving the stepping stone. Do one at a time. Give out the strips and start by reading one observation. The person with the matching stepping stone then reads it nad the observation on that strip. Hopefully you'll keep going til you get back to the original one....

Session_plan_1_1_.doc

CUE_SHEET_FOR_STAFF_TRAINING_18.doc

Game.doc

Game2.doc

Hope it helps someone nad that someone else posts some to show how it SHOULD be done!!

It is cr*p news isn't it? I don't think I posted here but a couple of weeks ago he had been found unconscious and DH and his sister were called to the hospital (we're up in the Fens and he was in Homerton in London so not exactly up the road!) He was in ITU on ventilator and dialysis and they were told that they weren't optimistic and we feared the worst. A week later he came round!! They think he may have had a stroke but he is diabetic too so we don't know. Last week he got a chest infection and his liver and kidneys failed but he was too weak to go back on dialysis... horrible. Now the worst bit is here tho - all the sorting out. DH's mum separated from his dad 20 years ago but is still trying to take over! She thinks the wake should be at hers for example (why on earth would they want to go to her flat when as far as I know he never even went there himself!!) Anyway I'm rambling on - probably to avoid housework, planning, keyfiles and work for the 7302 course!

Enjoy Christmas chaps and check out 'tis the Season to be Jolly post

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)