Jump to content
Home
Forum
Join Us
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Looking At Melting


Guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

 

As you can probably guess I am making Rice Crispy cakes next week and was wondering if anyone had any top tips for melting chocolate. I have done it lots of times over the years various different ways and there was a bit of a debate in our unit about bowl hot water 'v' microwave and also wanting the children to 'see' the chocolate melt. Any pearls of wisdom gratefully received!

 

mmm all this talk of chocolate is making me crave a large bar of dairy milk!!! :o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could you not melt most of the chocolate away form the children and maybe have some buttons or similar just in a warmed up bowl... so the children could see what happens when they get warm.... or on top or a warm radiator?.... never tried it but just a thought..... that way they can see what happens and talk about it and also be safe whilst the chocolate is melted somewhere safe for the cakes.

 

Good luck.

 

L

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're using cooking chocolate I should just use a microwave and stop it every so often to show to the children. We once asked a parent helper to melt some normal chocolate and she burnt it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always give each child a choc button to melt in their hand. Lovely and messy and provokes questions, why did it melt in your hand and not on the table, fridge etc.

Liz x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

we use a washing up bowl and put a bowl of hot water in, this is kept still by surrounding it with a towel, this also keeps it hot for longer, then have a bowl with the chocolate on top of this.

 

It allows a good layer so children cannot touch the bowl with the water in, also if any spills (never had one in 15 years of using this method) contained in the washing up bowl, children see the melting process for some of the chocolate, we also tend to have some melted in a microwave to add to this as it can take a long time to melt!!

 

did have someone overheat chocolate in microwave and became unusable!

 

Inge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We do the same - hot water in a bowl in a bigger bowl! We take the bowl of choc off every so often and get a child to stir it so they do get to see the process. It does take longer but it is so satisfying! We're doing it this week with truffles yum!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ive seen in a nursery before a single tea light inside those things that you get from a chinese that your food goes on top of. know what I mean? The children were very carefull and it didnt get too hot!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)