Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sleep Time At Nursery

HI

Ok, i know this is going to sound like a mad question but at sleep time do you always turn the light off?

The reason i ask is in three rooms at nursery we do, but in one room the staff member has said she can't work in the room with the light off as it gives her a headache, so these children sleep with the light on.

The light does not disturb the children, but im my opinion its not exactly a restful appearance with the light on... and i wonder what ofsted would say if it was left on at sleep time.....

obviously i don't want the staff member to get a headache, but i wondered what others thoughts were about leaving the light on at sleep times....

gosh, this sounds a real petty question LOL

Dawn

Havent you just had Ofsted??

I never slept my children in the dark during the daytime, as a parent.

In fact they slept with a very low level light on in the room until they were quite big!

If children are really tired wont they sleep regardless?

Yeah we had ofsted in september.

The children do sleep, i just don't think it looks too great them sleeping with the lights on, particularily when we have those big flouresecent light things at nursery (which are quite bright)

but maybe im being fussy LOL

Dawn :D

Havent you just had Ofsted??

I never slept my children in the dark during the daytime, as a parent.

In fact they slept with a very low level light on in the room until they were quite big!

If children are really tired wont they sleep regardless?

Wasn't there a newspaper report a while ago saying that if a light is left on during sleep whoever is sleeping doesn't get enough 'restive sleep'. Sorry I can't remember the exact phrasing but I remember the article because I used it to persuade my eldest that going to sleep with the light on wasn't the best thing to be doing!

Karrie

I know I cant sleep with a light on!

I never have liked bright lights though.

I would of thought it imperitive to provide a nice calm, restful atmosphere for sleep time and I dont see how flourescent lights could do that. Sorry, just my opinion.

Hi,

When I used to work in a day nursery, many years ago we always turned the light off. At pre school if any of my little ones (2yrs) want a nap, they just conk out on the beanbags in the book corner, light on, kids playing, nudged, poked, prodded and still sleep through it.

Net xx

I agree with Beau, can't this staff member have a table lamp where she is workin, so she has light but the children don't.

Net xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)