Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Overnight Care In Nurseries

I am doing some research regarding overnight care of children.

Does anybody know of day care settings in their area that provide this? So far I have only been able to find childminders that offer this service (and quite alarmingly some will care for children 24hrs a day for upto 14days!!! :o )

Not sure DN's can offer this unless they register as homes or something. Pretty sure you cant do it while registered as a DN.

So does that mean you could go on holiday for a fortnight with no children? Is that legal for a childminder? :o

There was a nursery a while ago that wanted to do this in Cumbria. I remember that there was an issue in them registering for 24 continuous hours.

Have just foundthis from 2004. I can't find them on the Ofsted website to see if they are still registered to do it though.

Childminders are actually allowed to offer overnight care for 27 consecutive nights. ( If it goes to 28, it is counted as foster care and Social Services have to be informed) There are added restrictions that can be found in the National Standards.

Thanks

I picked this up with OFSTED and they said that settings could register as full day plus annexe B and opening hours were up to them???

I still haven't found a setting that does it though? My sis said that there is one in Ireland??

I can't believe you can leave your child with a childminder for 27 days - whats the point in having kids?!

Guest DeborahF

I think I read an article about a couple of nurseries in London who provide overnight care - there is a lot of demand for that service there apparently. I'm sorry I can't remember where I saw the article or the names of the nurseries but you might be able to find soemthing on the Oftsed site maybe?

Found it, Abbeywoodtots in Filton, Bristol they have a website and you may be able to email them with questions, someone who works there told me it was 24 hour care offered, definelty overnight option offered.

Edited by Guest

A friend of mine left her children with a child-minder for three weeks while she had hospital treatment.She's a single parent now with elderly parents and she didn't fell she could 'burden' them or any of her friends for three weeks, and nothing we said could change her mind. So sometimes there are valid reasons for using this service.

Karrie

Thank you...

I can see both sides of the story with round the clock care...Children should be at home with their families but then families can't provide everything they would like to if they don't work?

If government had its way everyone would be working around the clock to contribute to the economy - but they aren't supporting parents enough to have children attend day care so how would they expect parents to afford overnight care??

And I suppose the bigger picture is that qualified staff are already working in tesco for more money than they would be getting in a nursery so why would they want to work nights??!!

:o I've just realised I'm having a bit of a rant about this!!

Is my perception all wrong?? xD:(

I agree Karrie...people don't have the extended family they used to so for your friend this was a vital and most useful service for her...One which I think if we were all in similar circumstances we would more than likely want to access.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)