Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Employing Someone Who Has Been Cautioned For Theft

HI

we are interviewing at present, we found a great candidate, fab interview, good work based interview. I offered this person a job today and they accepted, Only they told me that two years ago they were cautioned for theft (only this person denied actually stealing what they were accused of stealing).

This caution will obviously show up on this persons CRB, and im glad they told me about it.

Now i am still happy to employ this person, if im allowed to do so... where do we as managers stand on employing someone with a caution.

Obviosuly if the caution was for violence or offenses against children then i wouldn't employ this person, but since its theft i think its fair to give this person a chance....

what do you think?

Also can you be cautioned if there is no evidence... because this person denies doing it, but id have thought that the police could only caution you if they knew you had done something... in which case it may seem that this person has lied to me anyway...

hmmmm,

Dawn

I'd see what details come back from the CRB check, as all prospective employees are given contracts subject to these checks, this gives you time to consider this issue.

Has this person other more recent employment history within the sector? ensure you get thorough references to back up your decision, should you still decide to offer employment.

Although not sure about legalities, I'd agree with marion that a caution is just that, it is not a prosecution. Guilty or not, who is to know??? xD:o Only the candidate really knows.

Peggy

I think it's a good sign that she was upfront with you about it.Yes, she probably knew it would show up on CRB checks, but she has been honest with you.I also think that everyone deserves a second chance and, unless it was an offence against a child, or violence of any sort, I think she should be given a go,subject to no other problems showing up on the checks and of course, she'll have a trial period anyway?? Good luck, go with your gut instincts, which already seem to be in her favour??

Yep I would agree and see what the CRB states. I don't think that it would affect my opinion of giving a job to this person - if she is capable - go with your gut instinct.

Nikki

We have a policy about the recruitment of ex-offenders which I posted earlier this year and can be found here. Since you are talking about a caution and not a charge, and the person has been totally honest about it, then I would say that you should go ahead. :)