Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Relocation Of A Pre-school

Hi,

I,m new so no idea if this works as being chronologically challenged ( whoops, not allowed to refer to age ) am not too well versed in the minefield of computer technology.

Query.....Has anyone experienced relocating their Pre-School, Playgroup or Nursery to a school site?

Our current building is situated on a Playing field and is, sadly, on it's last legs. The Parish Council who own the land are not keen on maintaining or rebuilding so our days are numbered. The local primary school and authorities are keen for us to move to the school site, but where do we start? How do we get our hands on big bucks? Who do we approach for funding etc? Where do we find a cheap ( very cheap) demountable building, don't think we could possibly afford a purpose built one. We are in a rural area so do not need anything too huge.

Any info welcome

Thanks

Maggie

I am the FSC at my primary school and our on site playgroup folded a couple of years ago thro bad management and ill feeling. I was approached by another school who had a part time playgroup and wanted to move because that didn't get on well with the head of the school. We had meetings and agreed to let them open up at our school as long as they took on the chidren we still had waiting for a place. They were able to run full time as they were only P/t before. They work independently where finance is concerned but are under our Early Years "umbrella" with me keeping an eye on what they do. We now work very closely together. They run a wrap around service for the children at our nursery as we are only a P/t nursery and are so successful they have just increased their numbers. They charge £5 per session and £3 for lunch time cover. (The children bring their own sandwiches). it has become a great partnership with a brilliant reputation. The success of working together. I would approach your school & speak to the head and especially the FSC to see if they can help. If you need more info, please ask and i'll try to help. :o

Guest DeborahF

I agree with the above - approach the school and see how they feel, there are some really great partnerships being developed between schools and private/voluntary providers nowadays. You might find that it fits in with their Extended School agenda and that you're helping them as much as they're helping you!

Another source of advice would be your Childcare Development Officer if you have one? They could also help you with the business planning side of things and maybe find you some sources of funding. Ring your EYDCP and see if they can send someone out to chat over things with you.

Another source of advice would be your Childcare Development Officer if you have one? They could also help you with the business planning side of things and maybe find you some sources of funding. Ring your EYDCP and see if they can send someone out to chat over things with you.

I'd agree with that - I'm a development officer!

We mainly support breakfast and after school/holiday clubs but we have in the past supported 'daycare expansion' bids, where playgroups have relocated into a school or onto a school site.

It would depend on what budget and priority your LA has, but it's definitely worth asking the quesiton. If there is no funding available, you should still have access to a Business Support Officer who can help with financial planning.

Definitely approach the school to see if there is a classroom or space for development - if they have a school nursery, you can offer 'wraparound' care (if you don't already) and there should be funding for this as part of Extended Schools Initiative.

Good luck and fingers crossed for you!

Hello Maggie

This is the first time I have posted and I have already made a mistake originally posting this in the wrong thread.It is a good job i have my computer Whizz of a son to help me out.

I thought you might be interested to hear about my setting.

I currently job share the Senior Practitioner role in our Extended School.

We opened in June in our own building within the school grounds.We run 8 a.m. to 6p.m.Providing wrap-around care as well as pre-school.We too are financially independent but work closely with the head of Foundation stage and the headteacher.So far it is working really well.I know of several pre-schools that are looking into similar set ups.Sounds like this might help your situation. Good luck!

P.S.We've just has our first OFSTED good in all areas.

Guest MaryEMac

Hi. Maggie and welcome to the forum. Like you our playgroup was held in a sports pavilion on the village playing field field. There was increading vandalism and it was becoming difficult to work properly so 6 years ago a local trust offered us money to buy a mobile to site at the school, then the school got funding for new building so the trust put the money up for a bigger school and a purpose built playgroup room. We also got grants from the parish council and I think it was called the council for rural aid matched whatever the playgroup raised from events. This playgroup room is now called the Community room and houses a Tots group, playgroup and after school club which are all thriving.

As has already been said you need to contact your development officer and find out what grants you may be eligible for and try and get parents involved in raising money.

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

Mary

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)