Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Please From Coordinators

Hi guys,

Had an early years meeting with the powers that be to discuss new initiatives and moving early years forward.

I've been told that as the reception teacher (we have no coordinator) i need to be leading the direction for subject development - spercificly science, history, geography and ict. (im fine with ict as im the coordinator) but im not really sure what this means. What could i be changing? I've tried to move away from the formal way of teaching previously used so the children can explore what they're interested in.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks x

Sorry cant offer anything helpful my thoughts are that the FS isnt a 'subject' curriculum with the exception of cll and md so doesnt lend itself in the way that KS1 and 2 curriculums do. My school is moving towards a creative curriculum and away from discrete subject teaching

Oh dear when will they understand eh? Sorry if you've done this with them before but you can show them how each Early Learing Goal, although part of an holistic learning prgramme for the children, actually does relate to these subjects. We did skills lists for each curriculum area throughout the school and used Stepping Stones relating to each curriculum area as the first steps in the skills.

For example in Knowledge and Understanding - Sense of Place links mainly to 'Geography,' Sense of time to History, Designing and Making to DT, Exploration and investigation to Science etc. Obviously there are cross-curricular links but it may keep them happy.

If you take Time; can distinguish between past and present, observes, selects and manipulates objects from different times, can sequence events, can identify significant events and features, begins to understand that past events affect the present and the future. Within your themes or responding to children's interests you can help the children to develop these skills, like how did we light our homes long ago, how did children celebrate Christmas etc.

Hope this helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)