Ingredients

125g unsalted butter

100g dark muscovado sugar

4 tbsp golden syrup

325g plain flour

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

2 tsp ground ginger

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3. Line baking trays with baking parchment. Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally, then remove from the heat.

Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a bowl and stir the melted ingredients into the dry ingredients to make a stiff dough.

Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll to a thickness of about 5mm. Dip biscuit cutters into flour before cutting the dough. Place the shapes onto the lined baking trays and bake, in batches, for 9-10 minutes until light golden brown.

When completely cool, decorate with icing. The gingerbread biscuits can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks.

Glen posted this some time ago. I used it this year and it was DELICIOUS... only that our gingerbread people were big and, instead of 30, we had 15. The smell surrounded all the Primary building and everyone wanted a piece :D ! We didn't add eggs, because of an Indian girl who doesn't eat eggs. A teacher suggested adding milk instead and it came out well. I think it was about ½ cup milk.

"This is a great recipe that I have used lots. It makes a big quantity for approx 30 children and it stands lots of handling. We tend to use it lots and vary the flavours - substitute cinnamon or different flavourings. If you leave them for a few minutes when they come out of the oven they don't break and are easy to handle. They taste good too. Here it goes:

750g plain flour

2 teaspoons bicarb of soda

4 teaspoons ground ginger

250g butter

375 soft brown sugar

8 tablespoons golden syrup

2 eggs

Mix sifted flour, bicarb soda and ginger.

Rub in butter.

Add sugar.

In separate bowl beat syrup and eggs together.

Stir into flour mixture and mix to a firm dough.

Roll out the dough and shape.

Bake in pre-heated oven 180 C for ten mins.

Cool on a rack and enjoy.

I used this recipe for pudsey bears last year and they were very successful."

Enjoy them :o !

Edited by SmileyPR

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)