Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Unit!

I work in an early years unit, we have 20 ft reception children and 25 nursery each setting eg am/pm. three staff 1 teacher 2 n.nurses

one of our teachers was observed during a literacy lesson by the headteacher (junior trained and never worked in infants or early years) who has given his feedback now and says its far too noisy in the unit and can we put a big screen up to block out the noise. :o

I think you might as well have a reception class if we have to start doing this.

It would also restrict the younger children from certain areas as they wouldnt be able to access all the unit.

I just wondered what other units do and what are your thoughts on this idea.

Dont work in a unit but agree with you that you might as well work in a reception classroom. However, Im not sure a screen even a big one would block noise, only 4 solid walls and a door are likely to achieve that!

As a supply teacher I have worked in a variety of situations and you can never be completely sure that you will not hear other children even when they are working at similar activities--ie all quiet etc. Open plan classrooms always used to have rooms to retire into--usually called "quiet rooms" where the children and teachers could work in more isolated way.

Hope you can get this sorted to suit everyone.

I work in a Foundation Unit and we have a short group time at the start of each session where the children are in smaller groups. The rest of the time they can all access all the Unit. Yes we are noisy OFTEN and we open into the reception area and are next to the office but they really enjoyed the MOOD music for painting.

Jo

ps none of mine are 20 ft?????

We work much the same as Josie has described. The nursery and reception children seperate at the beginning and end of each session for some short whole class input at appropriate levels (although later in the year some of the older nursery children may choose to join the reception session) once the whole class 'teaching focus' is over the children are free to access any activity. Sometimes it is noisy but we do have the rule (not always remembered) that they save their big voices for outdoors and leave them in the porch. Visitors often comment on the noise level but usually in a complementary way........there is noise but its a working noise because everyone is busy. Even our deputy head who has never worked with younger children and was initially opposed to the idea of the unit has said how surprised she was that it wasnt just a 'free for all' and not at all noisy.

Edited by Marion

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)