Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Clld

I have recently been told we are to pilot the new CLLD.

Apparently this is to be used nationally and is all about language and phonics.

Has anybody come across it yet? any advice/backgroud info that you can let me in on!

I have just attended a 'briefing' but found it very much aimed at yr1 and above

Would love to hear from anyone in day nursery foundation stage who knows of this

Jayde

Hello Jayde, not sure if I have welcomed you to the forum yet, so WELCOME :D

Can you expand a little? are you piloting in a foundation stage setting? yet you say the briefing is more aimed at Key Stage 1, national curriculum. Are you referring to the new EYFS CLLD?

Peggy

Hello! We are in the pilot too and have been since last year. The main implications are from Reception upwards, as recommendations have not really changed for nursery (ie carry on with CLL stepping stones, playing with sounds etc). In Reception the phonics goes much quicker than it used to, at least 4 sounds per week. By the end of Reception children should know all the English phonemes including the most common representations of the long vowel sounds (like oo). Last year we achieved this even with our January Reception intake. The main thing is DON'T PANIC :oxD:( as the training provided (here in manchester) was excellent. They also give input on guided reading and guided writing, and all is done in the context of a play based foundation stage classroom.

Have fun :)

Thank you to you both,

We are full day care so this will be aimed at our pre school f/s.

Whilst I think it is good practice to be using letters/sounds/print in a very informal way, my main concern is that I strongly believe that nurseries shouldn't be about 'getting children ready to go to school'! So I hope we can implement this in a very child led way.

What training did you receive? Do you have any useful tips to get us started? :D

Jayde

It's not actually a pilot anymore - the Early reading development pilot (ERDp) was run through last year in 18 local authorities to "test" the premise set by rose that phonics can be a time limited set of knowledge etc etc and that children can learn to blend/segment cvc words by the end of reception. (I take that as by 5). Now the results of that, coupled by Rose are being rolled out to all authorities, through the renewed frameworks cd roms etc but in a further 32 LAs there is funding to have a CLLD consultant to focus purely on this issue who'se job will also be to liaise with PVI settings as well, so maybe this is where you come in? This means 50 LAs altogether are getting funding for 2 years to support the roll out of the resources/training etc in developing early reading. However the philosophy and expectations of the Rose report/CLLD developments are a key strategy focus whether you are in one of the 50 or not. It certainly isn't about getting children ready for school but ensuring they are developing phonlogical awareness/early phonic knowledge within a in a rich early years curriculum.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)