Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Verbal Dyspraxia?

Hi everyone..

I have a child coming into nursery after chiristmas who has been diagnosed with verbal dyspraxia.. Fortunately i had his sister in my class last september so have been able to catch a few glimpses of him and his behaviour :o I am in a nursery class based in a school so have th esupport from the senco. However i dont feel shes takin into account this childs behaviour as well as the verbal dyspraxia. (presume these things come hand in hand?)

just wondered if anyone has had any first hand experiences they would like to share?

Hello! We have a child in school who has verbal dyspraxia and is an absolute delight. Lovely child with no behaviour issues at all. The verbal dyspraxia does have an impact on his writing because of his speech problems as he is now in KS 2 but with support from a classroom assistant who provides help in class and 1:1 sessions ( he has statement of SEN ) he is making good progress. So it's not always the case that behaviour problems go hand in hand though I am sure with some kids the frustration factor kicks in and the knock on effect comes out in negative behaviour. Hope you manage to win this child over. !!

I'm also in a Nursery which is part of a primary school. We have a delightful Y2 boy who is now doing very well, but he also came to us at aged 3 with verbal dyspraxia.

On entry to Nursery he had no language at all and was a very frustrated, angry and aggressive child. We worked very closely with our SENCo, Speech and Language support and EYSNS. We introduced Makaton signs so that we could communicate with him and him with us.

Gradually, with focused daily speech and language support from his key worker, good home support and fantastic Sp + Lang support, he began to use speech. His behaviour improved in leaps and bounds. Now he's able to speak in complete, extended sentences; his reading and writing is very good and he is making good progress within his class.

Does your new child have any speech at all at the moment? Have the parents sought any professional help yet? If you're not already in touch with external support I recommend you get in contact with as much of it as you can as quickly as you can so that you can get external support into your setting as soon as possible after Christmas. You've got time on your side here.

J

I have a little boy at the moment who has language delay and I am working with the Speech Therapist and she is going to teach us some Makaton. In the meantime I did a little research and found that the BBC have produced a children's program called Something Special which introduces some Makaton signs. They also have a website where you can learn words and print off signs which I thought was really useful. Don't know if this will be of help to you - good luck. :)

Something Special

• 1 month later...

hey everyone thanks so much for your reassuring replies!

the little boy has started with me now in Nursery and hand on my heart is a delight!! i feel so dreadful making such assumptions about his behaviour etc because.. (touch wood) so far so good!

His statement application process has begun and he is off to guys hospital on 1st of march to begin his nuffield speech therapy programme. I am hoping i will be able to work closely with the speech therapist and his mum to help him along. Mum is great, she booked herself onto a makaton course which she has just completed and is going to start to introduce to her son. I amn pushing school to book me onto the next course as i feel it would be inportant for the signs to be consistent at home and school. in the mean time mum has come in a updates me on which signs she is introducing.

I am so delighted with the way he has a) been accepted into the group (only 4 in the afternoon sessions at the mo which is a great advantage for him) and :o how even though he has very limited speech/associated sounds we are able to communicate with him. He has fantastic listening and responding skills which help lots :)

i just wanted to share my good news with you all!!!

If anyone else has any other valuable info/support ideas please do let me know.

His mum was in yesterday and was a little down after the makaton teacher told her he should really be in the local special needs school. i assured her from what i have experieneced so far her son is doing well and we will monitor his progress closely.

I will keep in close contact with my senco and his mum about his progress but at the moment i feel he is well suited within the nursery and is settling very well!

have a great weekend everyone x

Great news :D and don't feel to bad of yourself for making assumptions, you were open minded enough to ask questions, and your assumptions were well intended rather than prejudiced. :o

Good luck in your continued work with this child and family and if his development continues to show that he is progressing i hope that the parent isn't too pressured to send him where she doesn't want to.

Peggy

I have a child in my Reception class, again a pure delight and has verbal dyspraxia. He came to our Nursery and did not speak a word. He did speak to his Mum and Dad and they brought a video clip in to show us what he was like at home. His speech is very delayed and there are some sounds he cannot make.

Anyway, in September, working with the Speech and Language Therapist, he started having 2 half hour sessions with two different TAs. He slowly began speaking to them and then we began adding other children to the group. We have come back after Christmas and is now confident to talk in class, yesterday I had to ask him to be quiet!! He is an adorable little boy with lots of support at home, so keep going and watch his progress, it is so rewarding.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)