Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pirate Week In School

Ahoy m'hearties!

We are having a pirate week for the whole school intended to inspire writing. I wondered if any of you have ever done one of these and had any good ideas or any good books as starting points. We will probably do lots of speaking and listening and role play.

thanks!

We had a pirate day in the summer

We did:

wanted posters

Making treasure chests

Treasure Hunt

Maps (staining paper with teabags and drawing map)

Telescopes

Pirate Hats

Pirate Patches

Captain Pugwash and Pirate School are two books we looked at, there were others but cant think what they are at the moment.

Hope this helps

There is a Boogie Beebies episode with a pirate theme. I think it is on the latest DVD. Our children loved it last year.

The Nick Sharratt book is Mrs Pirate - plenty of simple rhyming in it.

There is also Pirate Boy for older children where he sets traps for the baddies.

I also dressed up as a pirate and we tried hot seating. The children struggled with the concept of asking questions but it was a good way for them to find out more about pirates.

Sue

'Captain Teachum's Buried Treasure' by Peter Carter and Korky Paul

'Come Away From the Water, Shirley' by John Burningham

'Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs' by Giles Andreae and Russell Ayto

'The Trouble with Uncle' by Babette Cole

I did this as a mini-theme last year and had the caretaker dressed-up as a pirate to welcome the children into the classroom; their faces were a picture. You can find a recipe for pirate biscuits at www.kckpl.lib.ks.us/YS/cooking/piraterc.htm. We made these and ate them and thought what it would be like to eat these for days on end. Otherwise much the same as everyone else has suggested.

My class love the pirate song 'When I was one ...'

We also have a small world pirate ship that the children enjoy playing with.

Other ideas much the same as others.

Hope you enjoy your themed week.

I love doing pirates and so did the children. i found an article in a child ed magazine (cant remember which now but it was last year i think), which had some drama ideas. basically it was going off around the outside area finding treasure for captain whoevers dad who was old and had forgotten where he had hidden the treasure. we looked everywhere and tried digging in different places etc then we had to make a map of where we found it and write a letter to dad to say what treasure we had found. the children got really involoved and lots of the boys who hardly ever put pen to paper wrote loads.

Lovely theme this. Pirate ship and island role-play is obvious and lots of swashbuttling fun. You could do messages in bottles. I have made treasure maps with children and then burnt them slightly around the edges to brown them and make them look old. You could make a large treasure map for a Roamer to follow.

We used an old copy of 'Jennifer Jellyfish Jones' by Vivian French. It was really good if you can find a copy. By coincidence the illustrator of this book Chris Fisher spent a day with us and did lots of great illustrations. I used the Oxford Reading Tree poems book 'pirates' too. We made maps, and had a treasure hunt following pictures to find a chest with treasure (chocolate coins!)

You could make pirate hats, have construction to make pirate ships, I set up the builders tray with a pebble island and 'palm trees' small boats, fish and play people then carefully poured water around the outside.... There is a good Usborne Pirates book with ideas - but no photocopiables. We used the ideas to make finger puppets and door hangers on a pirate theme.

Have fun! :)

Don't know if any of your children like 'The wiggles' but here's a captain feathersword mask you can make:

http://www.thewiggles.com.au/upload/playgr...sks_feather.pdf

National Geographic have a pirate section too - not looked at it though: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/pirates/maina.html

Also found some scary looking pirates singing on this link - very realistic !

http://simplesongs.blogs.com/head_shoulder...6/09/index.html

I love this theme too- we had the class bear kidnapped by a pirate pete - who then left messages and clues for the children as to what the pirate bear was now doing- they wrote back putting their messages in a bottle and putting up wanted posters for the capture of pirate Pete and the safe return of the bear. We then went on a pirate hunt to find the bear - the children were enthralled especially when they found him in the head's office with some treasure! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)