Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent Helpers

We have a new built nursery, attached to a school and have recently invited parents on a rota basis to come a spend one or two sessions with us, so they can get to know our new nursery. The issue of police checks has come up. Should we be getting all parents police checked, even if they are only helping for a couple of sessions? These parents would never be with children in an unsupervised situation.

Parent helpers arent generally police checked unless they are going to help on a regular basis

we treat our parent helpers as visitors they are only permited in the main play areas not allowed in the toilet areas and are never left alone with the children, your inviting parents in to see the new building not make up the adult ratios so it shouldnt be a problem

:o its an ideal chance to spot the parents who might be good helpers in the future xD

My son is starting Nursery in January and at a meeting this week we were told that any parent wishing to help at the school would need to have a CRB check. It various because at pre-school we treat parent helpers as visitors and they are never left alone with children or allowed to take children to the toilet either

Karrie

We have parent helpers whom are treated as visitors, the parent signs in the visitors book on arrival / exit and as normal has no unsupervised access to the children, no tolieting etc. We created a "supporters hand book" which explains what to do if a child wants the loo etc, this works well. Our parent helpers are not CRB checked.

Hello back on line again after a very difficult study time

My parents are treated as visitors - I feel this CRB thing is getting really out of hand - I have had to have 3 on myself done recently - must have cost about £150 - I am the same person, I am in the same job currently and bearing in mind the CRB's as thecompanies themselves state are only valid really for the day they are written on!

We have over 20 parent helpers over the term - so this is an expense I can do without really.

Nikki

What we 'have' to do is safeguard the children, with this in mind as a professional adult I ask myself the question if the parents Mrs or Mr Bloggs comes in for a play session once in a while does this put the other children at risk, my professional judgement is NO, so I would not have a CRB check done. If however, Mr or Mrs Bloggs comes to play on a regular basis, often enough to 'form a trusting, comfortable relationship' with the children, and I ask myself does this put the children at risk, then my answer would be maybe, and I would have CRB checks done.

In other words a relationship formed within the preschool setting could, if the adults intentions were not honourable, put the child at risk because of how 'safe' the child ( and the childs parents)might feel with Mr & Mrs Bloggs should they exploit that relationship outside the setting, making friends with parents, offering to take the child, with their own child to a birthday party / social event etc.

I know that every child is safe, on a daily basis whilst attending my setting, I have procedures to ensure that they are, irrelevant of any CRB checks that are carried out.

I am however aware of the way unsuitable persons will spend calculated time to gain childrens and parents trust, by checking people who have the opportunity to do this whilst being involved in the preschool on a regular basis, then I have done as much as I can to ensure the childrens safety at all times, in or out of the setting, regarding people they have been introduced to via the preschool.

I agree with Nicola in that doing CRB checks for the sake of adhering to what 'they' ( whoever they are) say, is pointless, take a step back and remind ourselves of our responsibilities, to keep children safe, this is not done by just the one procedure of getting everyone CRB checked, it is much more complex than that. In fact I think that over CRB checking forces a dangerous sense of security, it should be used as just part of a whole series of actions. However, just as important is recognising, valuing and respecting that our experience, our professionalism, our sixth sense our attitude to the importance of our work also helps towards our responsibilities in keeping children safe at all times. This should not be undermined or ignored when we are judged about how we individually make decisions that ensure our children are safe. 'they' do not live the responsibilities that we live every day, 'they' just look at paper evidence becuase 'they' are just paper pushers.

We are more than that.

Peggy

sorry on my soap box again :oxD

Hi Simon

This issue cames up in my DPP earlier this week, we were told if parents or volunteers including comittee members are going to be in the setting for 6 sessions or more in a year then they should be police checked. Hope this helps out

CuoOT

well said Peggy as always - missed your words of wisdom but I am not going to change my stance - spending hundreds of pounds each year for pieces of paperwork is not in my opinion best for the children. As you have said we need to have policies in place for the protection of our children and a pice of paper won't guarantee that.

Nikki

Just wondered about checks on young students and work experience pupils, doing a week or two week or one day a week for a term placements, do they form a risk?, they could develop inappropriate relationships.

I agree Marion, most of them have to get their CRB's when they start their course at college but even if they have one I will still treat them as a visitor and therefore have to follow my procedures for unvetted visitors. If they are just doing a works week experience then just make sure they are aware of your unvetted procedures, they must sign this along with the confidentiality agreement too when you give them their induction.

Nikki

When we had work experience students from the local secondary school, it was our CRB's that were the issue. The students were under 16 and so under our care, they were informed of our CP policy for their benefit, knowing they could talk to me in confidence if they so wished, not to say what they could or couldnt do, although that was pointed out too. :D

Guest Praesus Infelix

We are a committee run setting and all new committee members & regular helpers have to be CRB checked, but we do this through ofsted and I think it's free. From my recollection, we only have to pay when we re-check current staff, which we have decided to do every three years.

However, it's worth getting all helpers to read the policies and to sign a form saying that they've read and understood them. We also get all staff, volunteers and committee members to sign a confidentiality agreement.

Edited by Praesus Infelix

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)