Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Kinaesthetic Approaches To Phonics And Hfws

Hope you can reassure me with this one...As a FSU based teacher and before when I had responsibility for Reception on their own, I have always used a variety of strategies for introducing sounds and words - jingles, sky writing, 'playing with sounds' document ideas (PIPs), Jolly Phonic actions as well as the usual flash cards. Recently I have also been experimenting with Marion's 'action words' approach too, but because the Literacy co-ordinator didn't want to know really, rather than use the actions from the site which are copyrighted I presume, As a class we thought of our own actions for the few words we have covered so far. It is working extremely well and even when the children are playing teachers you hear and see them applying their knowledge. However, when I gave this feedback to the literacy co-ordinator she was adamant that all the school should be doing the same thing and quoted the Rose report to me (which I am aware of!!), that I shouldn't be doing a variety of things as this can't possibly be continued into Year 1. Although I can see what she means by needing a standardised approach in school, I know from experience that very young children need a multi-sensory approach and the fact that I show children the same thing in different ways really works, especially for SEN and lower achievers - the assessment data has also shown how well the children are doing. The SENCO is thrilled at the progress children are making and all classroom observations are good but I can't please the Literacy co-ordinator . What do the year 1 teachers in your setting do? Do they carry on using any of the strategies you use in Reception? If not what do they do ?

Apologies for the length of the post!!!

Our Year 1 and Year 2 teachers use both JP (JP for blends and use the JP grammar handbook) and Action Words (there is a set for KS1) which they fully adopted this year after dipping into it last term and are reporting a marked improvement. Previously the Y1 teacher only used JP for children who were struggling so the rest missed a year before going into Y2 where the teacher also used JP for everyone. so it was decided to adopt JP fully this year. We also use JP for groups in KS2.

Oh Kermit,

been there and back again!

While I would agree that the children will make more progress if there is a consistency of approach that should not stop you doing what you believe to be best for your children. If you can already see that progress is being made you should not stop! It is in your best interest and those of the children to continue and hope that your impressive results will inspire the literacy coordinator to adopt something similar within the rest of the school. If that does not happen however, then at least you will know that you have done the best you can for your children and given them a good start, how can that be detrimental?

Perhaps you need to talk to the head or deputy?

Good luck.

I agree with Susan. Our Y1 and Y2 are now using JP because of the great improvement my Reception children were doing after my class started using it. I have also mentioned PWS (Playing With Sounds). The Y1 teacher has a copy of it. I am sure Action Words or something similar (like you have done) would be an additional good resource, especially since the HFW/tricky words are not easy for everyone. Keep on what you are doing and the Literacy Coordinator and Head of Primary/deputy will see that your good results come from somewhere... your knowledge as a good Reception teacher. Best wishes!

Hi all

Have you seen L is for sheep - Sally Featherstone or Foundations of Literacy Ros Baley & Sue Palmer - very good. As to all doing the same...If children all had the same learning styles or a 4 year old learned in the same way as a 7 years old wouldn't life be simple!!! We need to be very careful about what litercay co-ord think Rose says and what he actually does recommend. Ofsted has been criticising early yaesr practitioners for moving on to writing too soon and not giving speaking & listening the focus it needs. Rose has this at the heart. He also says when a child is ready for phase 2 is a matter for the teacher to knoe through assessment observation. Lets hear it for teacher professional judgement

LGM

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)