Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pedagogical effectiveness research review

Steve

Hi -

Helen's just finished summarising a research project which lists 129 statements of effective early years practice. You can find it here

This topic is for any comments or discussion around the project - anyone want to review the review for us? :o

Regards, Steve.

Hi -

Samples of the first feedback comments from the research review is as follows:

sort of Caring for Children in a Nutshell

Just what was needed to validate the practitioners hard work. It might seem like a lot of points to some, but I feel that every one is necessary and hopefully being carried out already.

Hi, Steve and other readers.

I'm glad you found the SPEEL research interesting. Yes, 129 statements seems like an awful lot but practitioners in the research were actually quite pleased because they felt that, for once, the complexity of their research was likely to be recognised. The statements cover so many areas that are sometimes 'forgotten' particularly by politicians and civil servants!

We now have a document which celebrates the depth of the e.p. practitioner's role for all to see.

I'm happy to respond to any queries about the research from Helen's excellent summary! Helen has also suggested that we might put a user questionnaire on the website. Would this be of interest? Would e.y. practitioners complete it?

Janet Moyles

Hello Janet,

I am really enthusiastic about what I have read of the SPEEL research.

I think you can read as much or as little of it as time permits, yet every piece is valid. Just what was needed to validate the practitioners hard work. It might seem like a lot of points to some, but I feel that every one is necessary and hopefully being carried

out already.

It must have been a fantastic thing to have been involved in at

the University, I would loved to have been involved. :)

Well done to Helen, for her hard work in bringing it to us in an 'easy to read quickly' format too.

Yes, I would definantely complete any questionnaire.

Hi, Steve and other readers.

I'm glad you found the SPEEL research interesting. Yes, 129 statements seems like an awful lot but practitioners in the research were actually quite pleased because they felt that, for once, the complexity of their research was likely to be recognised. The statements cover so many areas that are sometimes 'forgotten' particularly by politicians and civil servants!

We now have a document which celebrates the depth of the e.p. practitioner's role for all to see.

I'm happy to respond to any queries about the research from Helen's excellent summary! Helen has also suggested that we might put a user questionnaire on the website. Would this be of interest? Would e.y. practitioners complete it?

Janet Moyles

Hi Janet

I would be interested in your questionnaire! I am embarking on some embryonic (MA) research myself (into outdoor play) and have just started taking part in discussion groups to try and get some feedback on this, as well as trying to read some heavygoing research books! :o

Clare Welsh

129 statements sounded like overload until I read Helen's summary. Not one statement seemed superflous. They were all equally important, imo, although each individual will take what is meaningful to them. Personally, a few really stood out to me, because of the work that I do. In particular these were:

- Identify and understand the principles which underpin early years pedagogy

- Reflect regularly on current thinking about teaching young children, their learning and development

and:

- Multi-sensory learning and teaching approaches for young children

and:

Self-as-teacher and learner including their own need for extension of professional knowledge and when, how and who to access for information, support and guidance, including training courses

and how wonderful to have metacognition addressed for the practitioner in addition to the child:

- Conceive of self as both teacher and learner and understand own professional thinking and ways of understanding (metacognition)

and finally something that is so important but sadly, often overlooked:

- Take initiative and trust their own judgements

A really useful summary, thanks Helen! I could imagine it having many uses for individual reflection and staff development. I'm going to print out a copy for my own use. :)

Thanks so much for your response, Nicola :)

I really believe the SPEEL research could be so useful in training and disseminating best practice, and also for use in settings as discussion topics in staff meetings. Hopefully, this site will be picked up by search engines in the near future and there will be a huge influx of new professionals to discuss these issues with :D

Hope the move went well, and you can find your kettle :o

Helen

I've just read your SPEEL summary and it is admirable and everything one would wish to equate with Early Years education. Congratulations! I wish politicians and others would take note as these are surely the underlying principles of all education for all children.

It's a shame that thpose in higher authority do not understand this and focus success around test results and tables. Something which I think nearly all teachers would agree with!!!

Kate <_<

Off topic, but Helen, you said "Hopefully, this site will be picked up by search engines in the near future and there will be a huge influx of new professionals to discuss these issues with."

Have you worked on your site metatags and registered them with search engines? It makes a big difference in traffic through your site. I did some work on mine a while ago, but still need to update continually. It's just a question of time.... It would be great to see lots of new members here soon!

Yes, btw, I've found the kettle. But not the alarm clock. Good thing I have two little people willing to do that job for me. :D:D

Nicola

Hi Nicola,

I think Steve has given you a fuller response by personal email, but thanks for the suggestions. :) The site has only been up for a short time and it will take some time for the search engines to list us. We are however, being linked to by more and more early years sites so we're reaching out there!

Glad you found the essential kettle.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Janet,

I found your article "Just for fun......." in Developing Pedagogy-Resarching Practice (from the Ma in Education-O:U:)to be thought provoking and very useful -thanks.Sorry for going off topic everyone!

• 5 months later...

hi! I totally agree with what the reoport is saying too. With all this good emphasis on children's learning why does it all seem to be scrapped once a child enters key stage 1? LEARNING AND TEACHING SHOULD BE FUN FOR IT TO BE SUCCESSFULL :D