Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scary Momemt

my daughter almost choked today i have never felt so scared or helpless all the training that we have as child carers does not prepare you for the panic that you feel when its someone close to you. my daughter has epilepsy and generally this is well controlled but today was a bad day for her she had a particularly difficult seizure and was eating at the time which made her choke. i really panicked i thought i was going to lose her. never want to feel like that again jojom

I'm glad your daughter is ok, it must have an awful moment for you. I clearly remember my middle son choking on a sweet, I was fine while it was happening, and dealt with it. But after I crumpled to the floor a complete wreck! :o

How awful Jojom. You are right though, it is difficult when the child in question is your own, because if you are anything like me, I'm running around screaming for help, panicking whilst at the same time, trying to slap Natalie's back to bring up whatever it is.

Once incident that particularly sticks out was when my mum gave her a slice of cucumber. It got stuck, Natalie was choking, turning blue, the works. Luckily she coughed it out and was fine, but I couldn't help secretly blaming my poor mum for giving it to her in the first place. She was in much the same state as I was.

I'm pleased your daughter is ok now, though.

Oh how awful. I used to panic when my daughter choked- (ASD and learning difficulties). She often got something stuck when she was young and I PANICKED, ran around thumping her back etc. Anyway she is still here in spite of me I think. Funny thing is I cope very well with other people's chidlren,can deal with anything, never panic just get on with it.