Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Student Placement

Hi

I have someone coming in to see me tomorrow who wants to volunteer to work at our pre-school while doing her NVQ2, she has EAL, which i feel will help our children who are EAL as well, as we have 7 at the moment. My question is what paperwork do you get them to fill in, do they fill in a application form you would use for new staff, i have never taken on a volunteer before and just wanted to make sure i got it right, any advice please!!!!!!!!

We did same as new member of staff, references, interview and CRB etc. we feel they may be a volunteer but if they are doing an NVQ will need to do a certain number of hours and will be treated as a member of staff, being able to do all jobs in the setting over time.

College advised us in this so perhaps you could contact the college and ask for advice.

we do not do same for cache students on term placements , or others sent by college (we have students with learning difficulties as well as school students, careful timing not to have all at the same time on the same days!), but we do ask them to visit before they start.

Inge

hi simcity,

having been a student myself i feel that if you are able to fill in a new employee application form it makes you feel more as part of the team. Students should have to take part in all aspects of the working life relating to the setting (as is reasonable), this makes you feel more included within the setting.

Obviously you will have differrent procedures for volunteers and these will ahve to be adhered to where applicable.

laura x