Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Job Being Advertised

Rea

A nursery where I did 4 months on supply is advertising for a nursery officer, 37 hrs a week, permenant. I didnt like working there due to the restrictions placed on the children by the routines which staff had taken as written in blood. I've been back a few times for odd days and every time I feel myself thinking how wonderful it would be if I could go in and change things i.e. stop the children having to sit on the mat for half an hour while they wait for lunch! I'm tempted to apply, but I told loads of people when I was there that there was no way I'd work there as staff because it was too far removed from playgroup practice, loads of practical activities, less routines, I was being kind! I feel applying now would look like I didnt know my own mind. Should I bite the bullet and leave my comfortable setting with friendly staff to work within a setting which I know to be bitchy, confrontational and so authoritarian, and thats just the kitchen staff :o I have until Nov 3rd to apply.

What would you do?

Rea,

I personally would not apply,

I think your values and beliefs (which are absoloutly fab!) would prevent you from being happy. I know that you have ideas and plans of how you would change the practices in the setting... but i feel you would be leading a one women army in trying to change it. As it sounds like most of the staff do not want to challenge the practices going on there even tho i suspect most of them feel they are not the best type of practices in the world.

But equally if you want a challenge and can cope with eating your words (in terms of applying for a job when you said you would never work there) then go for it. but i think that as the age old saying goes ' you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink ' i have a feeling you could find the same with the staff ~ you could lead best practice but there is no saying they would follow.

go with your heart on this one, i would be interetsed to know what you decide....

good luck and be happy either way

Dawn

I think you might regret it too.

Perhaps if the job was for a more senior role then you may have more of an impact on changes??

Alternatively, you could apply and test the waters at interview - putting forward some of your ideas and seeing how they react??!!

Agree with Shelley, Why are you thinking of leaving where you are now? Is it hours or comfort zone and wanting more of a challenge or something else????

Peggy

Its the challenge Peggy, I dont have to make any decisions on supply and I miss it. I need more to do, I'm sinking into mediocracy and getting lazy. I had to fight down the urge to wash my hands last week when we were painting and thats not normal :(

I've actually thought twice about that job now, 16 yr old son heard me telling hubby this morning, 'bloody hell mom, are you mad? You didnt like it so why do you want to work there?'. I have no real answer that would last more than a couple of months. So, thank you, it has helped to see your responses.

Definitly need to find something else to do though. One of the local colleges is running a course in Italian, thats one on my list so next time I go to the Italian restaurant I can flirt with the pretty waiters xD:o

"thats one on my list so next time I go to the Italian restaurant I can flirt with the pretty waiters "

Now what would your son think about that then :o

Hope you find what you are looking for Rea.

Peggy