Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Coverage Of The Ss's & Elg's

Hello,

As the FS co-ordinator I am looking to ensure that myself in Reception and the Nursery teacher are sufficiently covering each stepping stone and ELG throughout the year. I was thinking of putting together a table with the SS's and EL:G's accross the top and then we can write in each HT we cover a certain one. However though I'd check whether anyone has already done something similar to save me some time??!!

Emmax

Hi Emma -

I'm not sure whether these are in the right table form for what you want, but have a look at these:

Stepping stones charts

Also, we did an article back in the olden days that describes some methods of recording and observing, with downloadable forms. They're more geared towards a nursery setting but you might find it useful - just here.

Hope they help! :)

Hi EmmaJane. I'm in Reception and mostly plan towards the ELG themselves, and then some of the SS which I think are necessary to the ability / stage of my children or where it is not always clear in the ELGs themselves. For example, in MD I include the Green SS 'Order two items by length or height' as the corresponding ELG just says 'Use language such as ‘greater’, ‘smaller’, heavier’ or ‘lighter’ to compare quantities'. However, I don't view all of the SS as being learning Objectives in themselves or they are just part of the bigger picture (ELG). We do assess against the SS though (not all - the key ones).

For each MTP, I list the ELG and then highlight the main ones I will be focusing on that term (although will include others at the time if relevant - and still highlight these on the plan). I then have a column next to the ELGs (grouped in apsects) where I can add any relevant SS. I tick off the main ones I am focusing on on a grid which show me which ones have not been focused on at all / which ones have been covered several times. I'm sure there are better ways but this works for me.

Not sure if this is helpful or not. :)

P.S I've included a sample of the MTP so you can see.

KUW.doc

As I understand the stepping stones are the cumulative bits of learning that go together to help a child achieve their learning goal. Some children will cover some but not all and they give an indication of progress. I therefore check coverage of the Early learning goals only by ticking ones covered by the teacher planned activities. I then consider whether what is not ticked needs a focus or whether it is truly covered through ongoing activities and every child is having some kind of access.

I just use a sheet with the E.L.G's on and tick a different colour for each half term. It becomes very apparent what needs to be covered and can be planned for. Then I just plan and go with the children. I found that a long term plan with which E.L.G.s to cover when a bit artificial for my liking as we are supposed to plan for the children's needs and each lot of children you get through can be different. I know that this may work well for somethough. I would just find an already made sheet with the E.L.G's printed on and use it if I were you. I find that this is enough for me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)