Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mental And Oral Sessions

I do try and keep my numeracy inputs short but... In previous years I have always included a mental and oral session that revises things we have done previously but obviously this adds to the overall length of time that children are sitting down. Do other people do one or not? If you don't do you worry about children forgetting things that you have done previously? Thanks in advance.

I do an oral and mental starter at the beginning of each Numeracy session but I keep in very short and snappy. Normally an action song or something that involves moving around so that they are not sat for long. It doesn't always relate to the Numeracy focus for that week though. Its usually just to get their brains active and to get them awake and ready for Numeracy!

We do as Marion does, short sharp sessions at any suitable time. I use songs, rhymes and where ever possible have visual aids - for example 10 speckled frogs and a log to sit them on; 10 real (plastic!) green bottles and a wall (box covered in model makers brick paper) :)

I had that problem too Moose and found the session carried on too long. We had our joint annual review visit and the LEA advisor said that I didn't always have to do an introduction and group work. One day we could have the whole session on the carpet and the other we could go straight into group tasks. Has made life a lot easier!

Liz x

• 2 months later...

I also do M&O in the form of number and action songs - combined with using the SMART board, the kids really enjoy it. I have downloaded loads of great ones from the priory woods site, and have begun to make my own, using photos of the kids to keep it interesting. I try to rotate the songs and slide shows to keep it fresh.

Here's one I made for my class

5_currant_buns.ppt

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)