Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Case Conferences

Hi

I was just after other peoples experiences of attending a child protection conference. I have been asked to write something for early years from a managers prespective, just wondered what expereinces you had had and how you found them?

I have been ona couple in the past 2 years both times I have attended there are a lot of others there. depends on situations but I had police, social workers, health care, doctors and on and on. Everyone as very nice, I had to introduce myself as the teacher and coordinator of the school and then when it was time to talk about school I had to just tell them how the childwas getting on in terms of social, emotional, care at home, ability. It was fine but I would say to you be warned I heard some upsetting stuff when I went.

same as green really, been a couple ot times for one child in past, one because of a report we made to social sevices, had to ensure all documantaiton was accurate, factual and not emotionally based at all (not what you felt but just what you observed). Usually large group involved, included parent or guardian as well as doctors social services, police sent a report, HV.

Had to give reason for our call (already known to SS in our case), with paperwork, and then progress of child since being with us in areas mentioned by green, which in our case was 2 weeks! Also gave a brief outline of the setting, as we are a pre-school and my role.

After we were sent the minutes or report from the meeting, and outcome with review dates.

Sometimes they ask for written reports, usually have staff directly involved help with this one. Have to be sure when writing any of the reports that disclosures by the child are not questioned or answers prompted from them, they did ask about that at the meeting.

Inge

My experience is much the same as others. I was invited to attend along with all other professional involved each were given the opportunity to put forward their point of view. I have only once been asked for a written report and this was when I was unable to attend.

were you all happy with the way you were treated at the conference? Is there anything you would like to have been done differently. I have to give a managers perspective and say if there is anything we are unhappy with or we would like to see done differently.

Much the same as the others - was very happy that we were treated as another professional (At the time I was the leader of a pre-school playgroup, so it made a refreshing change!). It made me and our little (or not so little) contribution feel very valued. As, of course it should be, to develop a whole picture of a child or family.

Sue

As sue R has said,

treated as a professional, our input and knowledge was valued and felt that we had made a valuable contirbution to the outcome.

Parents were pleased and supportive of the input as we had a different perspective to others who had seen them in the home, giving a rounded picture of chold and family.

Always a worthwhile to join in these meetings whenever possible,

Inge

Just on a slightly different aspect, at one case conference I attended there were other professionals, as mentioned, including doctor, health visitor, etc, I was the only person in the meeting who knew both the father and mother of the child ( through the preschool i worked in at the time) all other people knew only one or the other parent.

They had slightly different perspectives and this really showed that having ALL professinals attend certainly helped to build a fuller picture of events leading to the reason for the case conference.

Peggy

I think the thing that I came away with from case conferences is the reluctance of different agencies to share information. Much as Peggy says each is coming with a one sided view. whereas we all could do a better job on the child's behalf if everyone was aware of all relevant information