Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Dislike My Job

Sorry, before I start, I have a feeling that this could be quite long so apologies in advance.

Basically, I have been working in a local pre-school for the last 6 weeks. My supervisor and I don't really get on even though we have both tried to kid ourselves that we do. I feel totally excluded from the team and I feel I have made every effort to ingratiate (sp?) myself with them, all to no avail.

It was supposed to be a great opportunity for me, going there as I have just started the FD and I am looking to professionally progress. To be honest, I hear of some of the settings on here and the things you are all doing and I get frustrated because I work in a place that doesn't do these things. We were told at college last night that if there is scope within the work place to take on further responsibilities then we are to apply for positions to further our knowledge and skills but to be honest, I can't see this being a possibility for me as my colleagues continue to treat me like a student and not like the qualified person I am employed as.

I already feel like I am stuck in a rut. There is no way that my supervisor is going to reccommend me for further responsibilities, she doesn't include me in the basic day to day things as it is, unless it is sweeping up or making the tea.

I am thoroughly bored at work, there is no incentive for me being there anymore, other than the children obviously and the course. The only saving grace is that my managers are both totally supportive of me and have taken a big interest in my coursework and my progression at the setting.

I am considering holding out and applying for another job elsewhere because I don'r see how I can possibly get on here. I have tried to speak to my supervisor about these issues but to no avail. I am thoroughly fed up.

What would you suggest I do? We have a staff meeting coming up next week which I intend to be at. I think this is really the last chance to get things off my chest. It is also half term next week so it might be an opportunity to sit back and think about things without the pressures of actually being at work.

I suppose I am feeling really sorry for myself at the moment, but I can't help it. I'm fed up with having miserable days at work. I don't go there to suffer.

Your thoughts would be great at this time.

Thanks

Clare, right now I don't have much time, husband due in any moment! But, please don't be so downhearted. Things change day-to-day and I'm not quite certain what your set up is, anyway. My fault, probably. I would very much like to talk to you, but cannot make myself available for a 'chat' until Sunday evening. If that's good with you, either chatroom here or msn are OK with me??

In the meantime - great big hug from me !!

Sue xx

It's such a shame they are not utilising your expertise to the full Clare - you have so much to offer. How do they react if you suggest activities at planning meetings,etc. Are you able to initiate ideas?if not...would you have the chance to play with the children and 'lead' them into something you would like to try and then rave on about how much they enjoyed it? We are always grateful for students who are willing to try out ideas

Clare dont do anything rash. Having read your other posts I am not surprised that you feel this way but it still early days although I can appreciate how downhearted you must feel. You obvioulsy need to keep an eye on the job opportunities around and explore any possibilities. Could you talk to your managers and tell them you will have to look elsewhere?

Good luck. Enjoy the break.

I know exactly how you feel! After three years I've given up trying to put forward new ideas, as they're only seen as me critisising how the nursery already does things. Theres only myself and the teacher in my setting and I sometimes find myself driving to work the long way, so that I don't get there too early!

I am also doing the foundation degree, so I now save all my energy so that I can concentrate on that!

I 've not given you any advice, because I'm beyond the point of trying to get along now! But if you want to have a moan or a chat, that's fine!!!!

Chin up hun! :o

Hang on in there and be looking else where. I don't know how your pre-school works but if you are following the childrens interests could you do just that. I have a basic plan and list the focus activities we intend to cover. If children get bored or want to extend them all staff just do that.This often requires very little change of resourses.

Also practioners on here are working in very different situations some are in purpose built buildings other like me have to put away each day.

I know it must be hard but don't worry too much about being accepted by other adults as long as you get on well with the children. Easy to say but I suppose it comes with age!!!!!

The others may not be excluding YOU deliberately but just having a problem keeping up with all the changes.

May your thoughtsbe positive just look forward to the future doing your F.D

Thanks everyone. Sue, Sunday is good for me too. I'll keep a look out for you!

Unfortunately I can't put ideas forward and when I do, they are firmly and flatly refused. I just can't see the point of speaking up anymore to be honest. I haven't got the energy to keep on at them either, so I am going to do as Polly suggests and just focus my attention on my course whilst at the same time, doing as Susan has suggested and keeping an eye out for a possible change.

Thanks for your opinions though! Will let you know how it goes.

Claire do hang in there and look for a job. I know what it feels like not to be wanted by one of the senior supervisor, thats why I left my last job in Feb 06. I have tried my best to find another job not in a day nursery but I have admited defeat to work within one, even thought I still have other jobs in the pipeline. :D

So keep your attention on the course, you will be suprised on how people are interested when you mention the FDey course to them, I have had people falling at my feet to give me paid employment. And keep an eye out for other jobs that give you responsibilties. xD

A big vurtual 'hug' from me. :D Have a fab hoilday!! :o I too will look out for the chat on Sunday!

Beth

HI Clare a big hug from me. I know it can be hard when you join a new team, have all the other staff worked in the settting for a log time?

some times when you start in a new setting people are set in there ways and are nt ready to take on new ideas. Hopefully for you these people will start to use all the skills you have and the new ones you are gaining on the course. once again a big hug and enjoy our holiday next week

Best wishes form me too Clare, believe me I know how you feel - lots of virtual empathy coming your way, I am going to steal all the good advice you have received, hope you don't mind, we wil have to hang on in there!!

Hows the course going? I am really enjoying it, only same old problem, wish I had more time to study!!

Horrible feeling when you dont feel appriciated. Keep your options open and see what the job market is like near to you. The TA at our local primary struggled through her FD beacuse the way the Reception is run, she couldnt always show things to the lecturers and had to work hard at being able to do things. Make sure if you stay where you are you are able to have freedom to do things for your FD, at least you've got the managers backing, start from there. :D

Dear Clare, this is all you need extra stress when undertaking a new training course. Please don't be dis heartend by others. Have you ever thought that they may be jealous of your knowledge & training? Don't give up trying you are doing it for the childrens learning, try a drip, drip approach. This worked for me but i do remember that feeling of going against the tide, it gets you down, but we now all have half term to think things over. But please don't spend all of your half time worrying about it have some time for you aswell.

"What would you suggest I do? We have a staff meeting coming up next week which I intend to be at. I think this is really the last chance to get things off my chest. It is also half term next week so it might be an opportunity to sit back and think about things without the pressures of actually being at work."

You've identified two good points of action, however, try to see the staff meeting as an opportunity to let the staff know about your aims, how you would love the opportunity to be more involved in.....................and state just one project to start with. I think it takes people who have been in an established team quite a while to get to know, newcomers, and exactly where newcomers fit into the dynamics of the team. Every single person in a team has their own agenda's, it's human nature, try to be positive in showing how your personal agenda can compliment, or is similar to theirs rather than looking at conflict. I think the conflict is due to 'not knowing' each other well enough. What are your motivators, what are theirs, what are your common goals? etc.

The half term break will be a good time for reflection, list all the positives, you may not see them until you are at a slight distance, away from the daily 'busyness' of an early years session.

Start from the managers positive interest in your studies, ask them if they are considering the aims of the government for all early years settings to employ graduate level people to lead the new EYFS curriculums within preschools and whether they foresee promotion opportunities for you by 2008.

It is still early days, although when you feel unhappy time will drag.

When I used to have a miserable member of staff, it really impacted on the whole mood of the setting, as the owner I tried my hardest to motivate and change the mood but it was very draining, one of my strategies was to put my car CD player on full blast, playing Bobby Browns' 'My Perogative' just as I arrived to work each day, then I would enter work with the biggest smile and loudest 'GOOD MORNING' and continued to 'enjoy' the childrens company, sharing with all staff the specific joys of the day as they happened, ie: did you see that when tom gave sue a big cuddle? or Harry just said the funniest thing.....etc.

Keep at it but also as others have said keep your options open, just think though, will the grass be greener or is their an opportunity where you are to pull out the weeds that are strangling your growth and spread a little sunshine over the lawn of dispondancy to make a lush green grow in the very near future?.

peggy

Clare, it can be very hard indeed when your immediate superior does not value you. I would recommend all the advice given so far but also this : Just focus on the children. Do the best you can for them. Meanwhile hang on in there, make your views known as best you can, but look for something better. It will come your way and you will appreciate it all the more when you find it because of this experience. Poor managers see someone more qualified than them/better practitioners than them /people with new ideas as a threat , good ones see them as an asset.