Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Coming?

Ofsted apparently rang today and spoke to our deputy to say they were coming on the 17th of November to look at planning??? :(

They said it is not an inspection :o

I was surprised when I was told this as I had not heard of that hapening before. So everyone has gone into a flap xD panicking about the planning etc, especially as ours is kind of going through an overhaul at the mo!!!

Anybody had ofsted visit for something similar?

Maybe a bit of confusion, I am from Kent and I am having the Early Years something something ( sorry so many departments and titles xD:( ) coming in after half term to do an 'Early Years Audit'. They are from the advisory teachers, I have two people coming, they will observe all morning, looking at how the planning is done, implimented and how the environment supports learning, adult interaction etc, then I will get feedback, then an appointed advisor will work with me and the staff on any developments identified. A bit like the schools development advisory service. If this is the case and not Ofsted you should get a conformation letter prior to the visit, in fact you should have received a letter about this 'audit'.

Hope I haven't got it all wrong and confused the issue further. :o

Peggy

I'm the same as Peggy I've got to Advisory teachers coming in on friday to do what we call a link visit!!!! they look at planning everthing on the "school" side do a mini Ofsted and then we go through it for improvements. I also have the Auditors coming from the Borough looking at the finanacial side in the next month so have a complete overhaul being done. would have thought that Ofsted don't usually give you a phone call to let you know they are coming these days especially telling you what they want to look at???

Hi Trisha,

Have you had a recent Ofsted Inspection? If so what was your outcome for education? I can't really see why Ofsted would just come to look at your planning if you got satisfactory or above . .

We are actually due an inspection any time now :o

It was put to me that it was ofsted coming, but I am being 'filled in' so to speak tomorrow. I did say, I was confused about that as I had never heard of it before. So I guess I will have to find out more tomorrow. xD It's odd!!!!!

I think this is a 'Kent' thing, part of the 'code of practice' for receiving the NEG. As Kent people are aware the COP is under review. These audits are not compulsory and I do know of some settings who have declined from 'accepting' the auditors to attend their settings.

However, i see it as a positive, if I was in any other kind of business and wanted an external audit of my 'productivity' or my 'quality' it would cost me a lot of money, again if I wanted to recruit an advisor to look at an aspect of my business from an external perspective, this would also cost a lot.

I do have a slight anxiety, as we all do when being 'judged' and I will ask about;

1/ more information on the criteria on which I am being judged.

2/ the confidentiality of the auditors, and who will have access to the 'judgement' made on my provision, and

3/ what systems are in place if I do not agree with the judgement.

I have received a letter stating that the audit criteria is from the Early Childhood Environment rating scale ( ECERS) Apperently these scales were used in the EPPE project to measure the quality of provision for 3-5 yr olds, and they will show a clear link between quality as measured by the scales and childrens educational and social development.

Off to do some internet research........ :o

Peggy

Peggy

The visiting teacher team in our early years service is currently carrying out an audit and focusing on Communication, Language and Literacy and then using this to inform the planning for training needs for January to March for all maintained and PVI providers.

The plan is that each term will have a different training focus so that every two years, each of the ELGs will be covered in detail. Other training will continue at the same time, but this will be the priority each term.

Our VTs also do a termly support visit with each setting to look at Ofsted matters relating to the Foundation Stage and it's delivery. (If only we could do the same for the care side of things.... )

I think this is a nationwide thing- I have 2 nurseries in Tyne and Wear and in order to keep receiving grant funding we must have these visits from the advisory teachers. Must say I have found them excellent support

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)