Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Life After Pre-school

Well, after so many tears and anxious moments, I can honestly say life is very good at the moment.

I could never imagine working in an environment without children and a great team of girls, but It's happened.

I started work at the beginning of October for the National blood service (just a bit different!) and I just love it! I wanted a job where I could either care for people or to do something worthwhile and I have that. I mainly deal with people that donate platelets for patients that are ill. There is so much to learn, but after only a couple of weeks, things are going well and I look forward to going in each day.

My home life is better too - I'm relaxed and it's had a knock on effect with everyone else too. Everything is just so good! Never thought I would say that!

I really miss the children, but just keep focussing on the fact that all those I left in July will be leaving next year, so it makes it easier.

I miss the girls (staff), but all going out at Christmas which will be nice.

It's a very strange feeling, I'm released from the little cocoon I'd wrapped myself in and seeing more of the outside world - been training for two days, next week I'm in Oxford, I'm going to Birmingham, Reading and Gloucester later - wow - I might even try a holiday next year!!!

I do think of you all, even though I don't spend much time on here at the moment - getting my head round blood groups, test tubes etc. :o (oh, and lots and lots of policies, health and safety etc.!! - no change there then!!! xD )

kymberley

Hi Kymberley, really glad things are going well for you. You're brave moving completley away from childcare, I just went to an agency doing the same thing! I might buy the paper tonight , see what's out there. :D

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments - Rea, don't give up if you still enjoy working with children! I really do miss them and still often find myself in pre-school mode. On Monday I just couldn't resist picking up loads of conkers and leaves I found outside the training centre (they must have wondered what the hell I was doing!).

Today they had a table full of books in the staff room from the Book People, I just had to order a couple for the children for Christmas. So it all hasn't been cleaned from my thoughts!

BUT I have no pressure, my evenings and weekends are mine now and this has improved everything.

The fact that I am doing something completely different has been the best thing I could have done as I am starting again - completely different skills, rules, practices, etc.

And do you know the best thing of all was the fact that they (training staff) liked my Early Years background and made me feel so proud to have been part of it all. They acknowledged the fact that with all our experience and commitment to providing good care, dedication etc. means we are valued!!!! so basically all these trials and tribulations has been worth it because I have learnt so much along the way and it's made me a better person! :)