Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

When To Move On

Hi all,

Can anuone advise me when I should move on from a school. I am in second year of teaching, some people stay you should stay put and some people say you should move on. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Flower

I think it depends on whwre you are on your career path flower. Persoanlly Id say 3-4 years if you want to move on progression wise and Id certainly move to take a promotion in another school (rather than one in your own school) if you aspire to DH or HT. It can be quite tricky these days to move on once you are top of scale or even post threshold unless you are moving on promotion. A number of jobs in my area specifically ask for teachers with 3-4 years experience especially those in children centres

I think you know when the time is right! Obviously you need to see a job that you want but if you are happy where you are, you shouldnt feel pressurised to move either. After about 6 years or so, it can become more difficult to move so it not always sensible to stay too long but the job market is evolving so go with your gut feeling. Some heads can be a bit "ratty" when they realise their staff are restless but you are entitled to time for interviews and I would always say go and visit.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)