Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Craft Activity For Food Topic Wanted Please.

Can anyone help? I am looking for a simple craft activity to do with the topic of food. It is with a group of 7 children, 3/4 year olds (it will be the first session for one three year old) and 2 adults. We have done: fruit printing, fruit kebabs, animal masks (from Handa's Surprise), fruit tasting, fruit modelling in plasticine and on Wednesday we are going to make bread. (Using a bread mix!)

I thought about using a paper plate and getting them to cut out and stick on pictures of their favourite foods but I'm not sure where to get the pictures from?

Inspiration needed please!

Our children love making pretend sandwiches with 2 bits of card shaped like slices of bread, that they colour in with wax crayons, depending on whether its granary they cover it with dots, brown wax crayon for brown (obviously!) or plain white. Then they turn it over and colour in the butter. Then, using their imaginations they can add the fillings - all tissue paper circles or squares.... yellow square is cheese, round red circle is tomato, yellow circle is cucumber etc. let your imaginations run wild! It works, honestly....

Making real sandwiches with cream cheese ,butter or marmite as a choice of fillings is fun too. Also making faces with salad ingredients on half a round bap: spread with cream cheese;cherry tomato halved for nose,;cress for hair; slice of radish for mouth,;raisins for eyes etc. Another favourite near Christmas time is making a recipe folder for Mummy and Daddy with the children choosing recipes to include from Supermarkets' giveaway recipe leaflets.

Also use free mags from supermarkets for pictures or can print from internet using clip art online, there are photographs of most items on microsoft but also other sites .

We did the plate but rather than food they like made a dinner to include veg! or have also done one along the lines of foods we should eat a often and those we should eat sometimes....(healthy eating) in large for wall or individual.

Inge

Thanks for your ideas everyone. I shall go with the 'card sandwiches' - I think. (Reminds me of visiting my Mother who prepares everything so far in advance.....). I was going to make real sandwiches along with the bread making on Wednesday so this will kind of lead into it. Do the children cut up the fillings themselves? Tissue paper can be quite hard to cut.

I like your food monster ideas Marion - will try that another time.

I like the website link ASPK, we don't have internet access at work but I may print off the picture to show to the children. We could always make a real face as a group another time.

Thanks again.

Also use free mags from supermarkets for pictures or can print from internet using clip art online, there are photographs of most items on microsoft but also other sites .

We did the plate but rather than food they like made a dinner to include veg! or have also done one along the lines of foods we should eat a often and those we should eat sometimes....(healthy eating) in large for wall or individual.

we make bread using strong flour and dried yeast always worked and completed in session time, children really enjoy the yeast changing small etc.

or try pizza

Inge

dont know what happened there!

Edited by Inge

Just seen your reply Inge - a good idea making a dinner. What sort of things did you include please? I'm a bit out of touch with the eating preferences of 3/4 year olds. Mind you my 25 year old still likes baked beans with everything!

we put in items like chicken vegetables, sausages potatoes chips, beans , fish , salad items, like tomato and cucumber seemed popular, mushrooms were too. peas scrunched tissue worked well, and we then followed the children and helped them to draw and produce other items from paper, pictures, modelling items, etc we then found they wanted to do pudding too so we continued and they did another plate. as this was unplanned extention they used imagination and paint with items around.

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)