Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Profile Into Nat Curr - Help!

:o

My head has asked for 'current' and 'predicted end of year' Nat Curriculum grades for my Year One class this coming week and I'm finding it very hard to do this as they have only been with me for a few weeks (added to this I only work 3 days a week!)

Can anyone help with advice on converting the FSprofile grades into rough Nat Curr equivalents? They obviously haven't moved on massivly since the profiles were completed and my thoughts were it would at least give me a starting place.

Thank you in advance!

Off the top of my head, somewhere between profile points 4-7 children are getting towards a Level 1. I would say that 8 is roughly equivalent to a level 1 and 9 is around Level 2 (though not all aspects will have been covered.

Perhaps it is worth having a quick look at ATs at roughly working out where children are now. They are supposed to go up 2 levels a year (e.g. 1c to 1a, 1a to 2b).

There was a chart atttached to one f the posts yeserday evening linking profile points, NC levels in different year groups and intervention programs that I found quite useful. There have been a few discussion recently about tracking progress from foundation into National curriculum. You may find them using the Search facility.

We're having the same problem at my school, at a FS meeting this week we were told that a scale point 9 is considered to be equivilent to a level 1C NC but "really you cannot compare them and there is no hard and fast rule" . . . Not very helpful!

Catherine x

I just find it SOOOOOO frustrating that we are being asked to churn out these figures and predictions so early on - our time would be much better spent teaching - not looking into crystal balls and making guesstimates!

Anyway I'm not getting much done complaining about it on here am I?!

Thanks x

I've just copied what I put in another post:

From the NAA 2007 conference (for LA persons with responsibilities for assessment FS- KS4)

"You cannot predict KS1 results from the Profile"

"There is no national statistical correlation at all"

Cx

The FSP should only be used to inform where the child is at that point and to help set targets for the next step. (In actual fact some scale 9 are equal to NC level1 and others to NC level2) but as Catma says should NOT be used to predict SAT results!

We've had quite a long debate about this one elsewhere, but I am moving much more to the idea mentioned on the Standards website that an achievement of 6 or better in ALL profile statements should lead to an achievement of 2b in KS1 SATs. I've looked at our current yr3's scores and that expectation seemed pretty much to hold up. However since we've only got one cohort where figures exist and that was the trial year for Profiles it's only going to be after this year's reception class take their SAT's that we will have realistic data to even begin to draw proper conclusions from.

The sad fact is that the new proposals on Performance Related Pay are what are prompting heads to show a new found concern for using Profile Results to 'predict'. It might be called 'predicting' in your school or it might be called ' target setting' but the agenda is fairly clear. By next year the government wants to see schools relating pay progression to success in meeting 'targets'. And that's a bit of a problem for nursery, reception and year one teacher's.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)