Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moderation Help

Hi everyone.. We are being moderated this year on areas of PSED (dispositions and attitudes) and my mind has gone blank on other area being moderated (K+U of W I think ? ) Both moderation courses in my area are either full , or not running due to lack of interest ! Please could you post any details as you get them on what evidence they expect for these areas and what you are going to show them? Thanks... they are actually coming into our setting so I want to make sure that I'm doing the same as others. Would you just do a top/middle/bottom collection of evidence?

Ive just checked the Extranet and found this for our LA

For the attention of staff responsible for the Foundation Stage Profile: Audit Moderation School Year 2006-2007

The statements that will be the focus of both moderation visits and moderation meetings, during the school year 2006 – 2007, are as follows:

Personal, social and Emotional Development

Dispositions & Attitudes

5 Selects and uses activities and resources independently

Social Development

6 Understands that there need to be agreed values, and codes of behaviour for groups of people, including adults and children, to work together harmoniously.

9 Takes into account the ideas of others.

Emotional Development

2. Communicates freely about home and family.

Knowledge and Understanding of the World

7 Finds out about and identifies the uses of everyday technology and uses information and communication technology and programmable toys to support his/her learning.

Practitioners are expected to be able to discuss two or three different observations or pieces of evidence that led them to make their judgements about one child for each of these five statements. It can be a different child for each statement.

I have also attached a table showing, for each statement to be moderated, the criteria in the Foundation Stage Profile Handbook, any additional criteria included in Flying Start 2 and the additional guidance the moderation team will be making reference to. I hope you find it useful.

Information about the schools to be moderated 2006 to 2007, dates and venues for moderation meetings and samples of evidence forms will follow later but the moderation team felt it was important to give you the above information as soon as possible. We do intend to continue with the pattern of 50% of schools receiving in school visits and the other schools attending moderation meetings as this has worked well the last two years and meets the requirements of the Foundation Stage section of the Primary Strategy.

Foundation Stage Profile

Statements to be moderated 2006 –2007

Statement Criteria Additional Guidance

PSE

Dispositions & Attitudes

5 Selects and uses activities and resources independently When taking part in self-initiated or adult instigated activities, the child selects resources from the range provided and can add to these by choosing from other resources which are accessible. The child selects activities independently from a range provided or from other appropriate activities which are accessible

The child usually completes tasks without needing adult attention. They are confident to make choices such as who to play with or in what order to do things.

Must be about real choices – choosing the red pen from a pot of pens is not enough.

This should be about the child having knowledge of what is available in the permanent provision rather than a set up activity.

Examples need to be from a range of activities. Best practice would include one adult instigated activity, one child initiated and would include an example of outdoor learning.

PSE

Social Development 6. Understands that there need to be agreed values, and codes of behaviour for groups of people, including adults and children, to work together harmoniously.

The child knows the classroom rules and can offer explanations about why it is important to keep them. For example, s/he would understand that running in the classroom could cause an accident. The child understands class rules and accepted modes of behaviour within the school / nursery. They understand when their behaviour is not acceptable in relation to these. They understand how their behaviour effects others within the school / nursery. For example the child can explain how their inappropriate behaviour may make others feel or can explain the reason for specific rules.

The child needs to be able to articulate reasons for or consequences of behaviour in order to show understanding.

The child must also show reasonable evidence of following rules.

PSE

Social Development 9.

Takes into account the ideas of others. The child works collaboratively with others taking into account their ideas. S/he takes appropriate account of these ideas, at times showing a willingness to change or adapt plans in response to constructive suggestions from other children. This is about working together, not one child dominating another.

The practitioner will be the observer and shouldn’t need to be prompting children.

The group and activity can be self-chosen or organised by the practitioner but the work needs to be genuinely collaborative and not parallel or copying.

Likely to be easier to observe this sort of activity out of doors.

PSE

Emotional Development 2

Communicates freely about home and family.

The child may talk about significant personal events or bring objects or a home/school book to share with a group.

Mustafa says, It’s Eid tomorrow so I am staying at home for a big party.’

This should be volunteered freely although the child may need one prompt in order to continue.

This statement is about wanting to share information rather than the quality of spoken language. Unclear or poor speech does not matter.

Knowledge & Understanding 7.

Finds out about and identifies the uses of everyday technology and uses information and communication technology and programmable toys to support his/her learning. Finds out about and identifies the uses of everyday technology and uses information and communication technology and programmable toys to support his/her learning.

For example:

• takes the torch apart to see how it works

• operates the tape recorder independently

• double clicks on the icon to start the paint programme

• role-plays a telephone conversation between two members of the family

• controls the floor robot to make it go forwards and backwards

• as part of a group, makes a table of favourite pets using a simple software package. No more than one example to involve using educational software like My World or Animated Alphabet.

Even if the activity is adult initiated children should be using the equipment independently.

• 4 weeks later...

Marion

I have been searching the web to find details of the Durham Flying start 2 aessement you have been talking about.

Could I have a copy or tell me where I can view it please.

I am unable to find the links you posted.

Please could you help

:oxD:(

I do the moderation for our LA as part of my job - responsibility of the LA is to visit 25% of settings required to complete FSP and to provide moderation opportunities (usually meetings) for the remaining 75% so you are part of the 25% getting a visit. This should preclude the need to attend another moderation activity so I wouldn't worry about that. The annex in the FSP hanbook says that the "responsibility for moderation starts in the setting" so you should be talking with your managers about how this will look. The LA's role is to check that your judgements in 2 of the 6 areas are accurate and therefore presumably the rest are too. They also have a supportive role in this. The 2 areas of focus are outlined in the FSp handbook too, although LAs sometimes differ from this due to local needs. (This year being the 4th year it is PSE/KUW in the handbook)

I will visit the setting and expect a senior manager to join with me to look at the records/assessments on 3 children across the ability range. From this I will verify the accuracy of any judgements made at the time of visiting/systems in place to gather/record the evidence base. At a recent NAA meeting for LA personnel it was clearly stated that a moderator cannot accept a singlepiece of evidence as evidence of a scale point, i.e you need to have evidence across a range of areas and independent activity to award the scale point.

I'll also talk to the practitioner about how they made their judgements and again what systems are in pace and observe the children in class - particularly as the PSE is easier to verify this way!

HAve a good read of the FSP handbook, particularly the annex at the back as it clarifies the rles and responsibilities of settings/heads/LAs etc and might make you feel less unsure.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)