Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key Word Games

Hi I read a post on here not so long ago and I think it was Marion and Beckyann who said they send home five action words each week to their children? We are currently sending home action words but wanted to send some ideas for parents to play games with them. I was wondering if anyone had any good simple games ideas to send home for parents to do with their children? My meeting about key words is next week and wanted to have them for then but my minds gone blank! Any help would be gratefully appreciated :)

We have a reading record that the teachers, parents and parent helpers use to record reading but at the front there are writing tasks for the foundation stage and each level in the NC and ideas for the parents to use at home

we don't really start sending KWs home till end of the spring term, and concentrate more on phonics till then, we do look at really HF ones, like 'the' and 'I' and 'is' etc, but not really focusing so much till later on.

What does everyone else do?

i am panicking now. None of my children are anywhere near ready for high frequency words.

Marion - are you not sending home any other HF words at all just the 'tricky words'?

The idea is we are going to concentrate on phonics and word building skills certainly for this term and as most of the words on the HFW list are phonetically regular its a waste of time teaching them by sight (for most children-very much depends on the children so will need to be monitored)

The 3 children who are taking home HFW were reading in nursery so need to be stretched.

I should add in the same class I have 3 children who havent managed to learn a single sound/letter yet

Edited by Marion

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)