Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Research Ideas

Hello

Can anyone offer me any ideas on how I go about choosing an area of research for my dissertation? I am an advanced early years student teacher and have a couple of ideas but would appreciate a little guidance!

First of all, welcome, Lisas, and thanks for making your first post.

Research is so personal that 2000 memebers would give you 2000 different ideas. I coule give you a list, but what interests me may well bore you to tears!

I would start with thinking about where your own experience lies, and what interests you. That always makes research easier. For example, have there been any issues that have really bugged you during your studies; or have you observed another teacher in action and thought, 'Id like to investigate that'; or have you had a particular difficulty with a child or group of children, a book, a style of teahing, or even the curriculum generally.? If you can come back to us with some general areas of interest, we may be of more help.

Thanks for your reply. I have background experience as a nursery nurse and was a TA in a special school for five years before studying to become a teacher. I guess then that my personal interests lie in an inclusive curriculum for all. I believe in teaching the child holistically rather than in separate subject areas. I also have a keen interest in looking at the relationship between the position of the child in the family and how this affects the motivation and desire to learn in the future. Another idea is to possibly examine the value of play in KS1. I have so many ideas swimming around I need to narrow it down a bit! Any suggestions are welcome.

lisas, what age are you going to teach? Are you staying in early years? Inclusion sounds good and is very topical.

Worth looking at the SPEEL report.

Chris :)

Thanks for that info Chris I will look the report up. My training covers the ages 3-7 years but I have a keen interest in working within the Foundation Stage (not fully sure whether nursery or reception). I am about to go on teaching practice soon so I will speak to colleagues there.

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)