Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hi Scope In Preschools

Hi

has anyone had experience of Hiscope in preschools?

Does it improve children's behaviour ?

How does the planning stage work if children have free choice of activities?

Hi crafter

We used to use aspects of High Scope - i.e. the plan, do, review. We gave each child a strip with velcro on, and in a group with a member of staff they chose 3 things that they wanted to do during Child directed time. The cards were pictures of each activity available during the morning. They then hung their choices on a peg - children did not necessarily have to go to the activities they had chosen - but if a child appeared lost staff would look at their choices and suggest they went to those activities.

At the end of the morning the children went back into their groups with a staff member, with their choice strips and were encouraged to talk about what they had done, why they chose to go to a different activity than they had chosen etc.

We found it worked very well - encouraged the children to think, use language and interact with their piers and adults. It was also good to emphasise that their were choices.

In the current climate of less structure and less adult led time we decided to stop doing it.

SueT

Hi Sue, the velcro boards of choices sounds a good idea, was it time diffucult to manage? would you have any advice to someone starting up with the same idea?

Crafter

We found it worked really well and stopped using it as we decided to structure the Nursery differently, and move away from so much group time. One tip I would give, however, is that with younger children, and those new to the group, just get them to choose one activity, and build them up to the three.

Good luck. Let me know how you get on. We may go back to High Scope at some time in the future.

SueT

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)