Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Documentary on Britain's Childcare System

Steve

A Documentary on ITV1 examines Britain's Childminding system.

Who's looking after your child on Thursday 3rd April from 9.20pm until 10.25pm

looks at the unregulated system which allows anyone to call themselves a Nanny.

Features PANN (Professional Association of Nursery Nurses) and their campaign to set up a national register of all childcarers.

Regards, Steve

This one looks like one to watch. However, check the times of your area. Our South West ITV1 are advertising this programme for 9pm - 10pm. :)

Guest auntielynns123

Registered Childminders will be watching this programme, with great interest. They are fed up with the term 'childminder' being applied to people who are CRB checked and are registered and inspected by Ofsted and are professionals.

Hi Steve

my first reaction to this post is outrage at the title :(

once again the term 'childminder' is applied without thought :o

this programme was about childcare NOT just childminding

in fact it was mostly about Nannies who by the way are not registered or inspected

as an ex REGISTERED Childminder I take great exception to the word 'Childminder' or 'Childminding' being applied to (usually) unregistered babysitters or other childcare :(

I was shocked and saddened to hear about the cases of the child who died and the little girl damaged by thier childminders- these really are rare cases and they had previously been reported with no action taken by the registering authority

many responsible Childminders could tell you stories of people they have reported who are still minding because no proof could be found and usually parents remove thier child because of bad practice but tell no one so another child ends up hurt or damaged

we do not want these people childminding either

but apart from the short piece that included Gill Haynes there was no real balance to show how good Registered Childminders can be

I do not think that it was mentioned that they were filming at a CCF Network drop in

I heard no mention of either of the two Quality assurance schemes that Registered Childminders can join

Most Registered Childminders are very conscientious, reliable, caring people who are constantly doing courses on things like food hygiene, behaviour managment, makaton, child protection in fact anything to do with children's development

they attend these courses in the evening or at week ends - after working all day 5 days a week - in thier own time at and at thier own expense most of the time

ALL Registered Childminders now have to attend a course before (within 6 months) becoming registered

they have to meet very similar standards to nurseries and pre schools

one of the differences being that Childminders are allowed to smack a child or smoke in thier presence with the parents permission - most Registered Childminders do not want this and along with NCMA are campaigning to have this standard changed

there are good and bad in all area's of life including I am afraid to say parents

the programme did highlight the fact that most parents do not take enough care when looking for childcare

In my opinion parents need to be educated on what to look for

some parents have been known to place a child without taking them to see the Childminder first - they are just happy that she has a space!

sorry turned into a rant :)

I am not getting at you Steve and hope you are not offended by what I have said :(

I actually came on here to post a question

I would like to ask what people think of when they think of Childminders

what do you think a typical Childminder does with the children ?

what would a typical routine be ?

do you think they have a routine ?

do you think nurseries are 'better' than childminders ?

why?

do you think nannies are better than childminders?

why?

this should probably be in a different post :wacko:

I am genuinely interested and welcome honest answers to any of the above and promise not to jump down your neck - honest xD

KazzE

Hi KazzE -

No offence taken :D

Actually the title of the post was taken directly from the PANN press release - I just didn't think too much about it before pasting it in...

(There look - I've changed the title! :o )

And nothing wrong with a rant every now and again - you wouldn't be working with children if you didn't have a passion for it.

So what do people think?

thanks for changing the title Steve

I thought I had got it wrong :o

and ranted in error LOL xD

I would really value some feedback from non chhildminders on what they think of childminders and childminding

it would be interesting to hear if views are changing or not

I think childcare as a profession has grown in status over the last few years

KazzE

That's a good question KazzE -

But as you mention previously it probably should be in a different post, SO...

Power's going to my head, so now I've renamed the Children Come First forum to make it generally appropriate to RCM's.

If you get a moment, perhaps you could re-put the question and your previous stuff into this forum. It's a serious question, so it needs a proper place - :)

Regards, Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

too true children do come first but until the laws change and parents are more aware of the differences between registered childminders and nannies there will always be risks the same problems arise in childcare between playgroups and unregistered creches run under two hours many parents dont know the differences

I find parents dont know about regulations regarding childcare and think that anyone who works with children must be registered. I know there are many wonderfull nannies out there and many wonderfull creches but theres too bigger loop holes for bad practise to go unchecked and even when checked and reported there is still little that the powers that be can do without proof.

"at risk" doesnt seem to have the same wieght in unregistered circles? do children have to come to harm before the authorities can act and laws are tightened or at least some kind of awareness campaign?

As a parent of a 4 year old who goes to a registered child minder and has done she was 6 months old (teacher, needed money, Part time only), I think it was the best thing we could have done for her.

She is treated as a part of the family and consequently does alll the things I would expect to have done with her as a mum: feeding the ducks, shopping,playing in the garden, the park, in local woods. Great Grandma comes every Tuesday and it's great.

Perhaps more important are the reasons I wanted her to go to the child minder in the first place.

1. Reccommendation. Heard lots of good things and she'd had a child at the school I teach at and so was well known.

2. I wanted Sally to grow up with other children who were of varying ages (and varied they are 0-10).These have become the equivalent of brothers and sisters and being an only child that is important

3. I wanted no pressure from 'learning'. She will get enough of that as she grows up and I was adament that I didn't want her to go to a nursery until she was older. And she did/does. Fantastic it is too.

4. Develop social skills which at her age I personally think are more important than learning to read, write, learn French etc

The advantages?

Well, for the most of the time I have an unspoiled, kind, thoughtful and socially adept daughter, who is inquisitive, has learnt loads from playing with others. Her imagination is great and her language superb. She has a good understanding of the world around her.

Could I have got this elsewhere? Probably, but I think a lot lies with the childminder sticking to her guns and not being bullied by OFSTED. At the last inspection she was asked whether she would teach children about the Chinese New Year. No she said, it would mean B***** all!

Hi

and thank u for the replies

Alison you did not say if you were a childcare provider and or parent??

Kate thank you for your views as a parent

it sounds like you have an excellent childminder and a good relationship with her

I agree that one of the benefits for the children is the relationships they have with each other

- the most upsetting thing for me when I gave my three families notice that I was stopping childminding (although I had been preparing myself and the parents for about 4yrs b4 I actually gave up!!) was knowing that I was in effect breaking up the family that the children had know all thier lives

my personal opinon about 'teaching' in the early years is that it has become too structured in all settings including childminding

children should be learning through play up to the age of 5 and possible longer

I am working very hard on my bosses and the ch/m on the network to try and bring planning and the curriculum for the children back to child lead play and everyday routines and not sitting at the table completing yet another work sheet just so there is something to show an ofsted inspector

I do agree that trying to teach an under 5 about chinese new year could be a waste of time

but doing a simple activity like making lanterns and talking about people in china celebrating or having a book or poster to look at would help that child to know that there are people who are different to them the child may just enjoy making the lantern or looking at pictures of the dragon dance

and while I am on my equal ops soap box I think it is also important to include british celebrations such as St Georges day and also to show children images of people who are different in other ways such as wearing glasses, hearing aids etc

so another question xD

how do you think a ch/minder could show an ofsted inspector that they help children to progress through each of the areas of learning in the foundation stage

without getting buried in paperwork

sorry as you can tell I do go on a bit :o

Kazz

Hi

Kazz just to say I am a mum,childcare provider and I have also worked as a childminder

its hard to show OFSTED how you encourage the curriculum but one possible way is a photo diary of anything made or any places visited or encourage the children to keep a scrap book of their time with you and it can also double as a record of development which is a lovely keep sake for parents in years to come.

one thing I have noticed it that OFSTED cannot say that any provision is perfect and always have to find something to say needs improvement so if the only thing is chinese new year well... I wouldnt be feeling worried.....

Hi Alison -

That's an excellent point. It's a bit like taking a car in for an MOT. If you try and get it as shipshape as possible before the test the mechanic will accept the challenge of looking for something obscure to fail it on :o

It's also slightly disheartening in an Ofsted inspection to be told that you 'meet the required standards' or your practices are 'likely to promote the early learning goals'. It feels very much like damning with faint praise, doesn't it? What we really want to be told is that we hugely exceed the required standards...

It's not the fault of the Ofsted inspectors of course - their remit is not to give a glowing report of the qualities of the settings, but to ensure that settings don't fall below minimum standards. But it can take the wind out of your sails to prepare yourself for an inspection, and at the end to be told that you're adequate but could do with giving some attention to something minor.

And as Alison says, KazzE, if that's all they mentioned to you, I'd say you've got very little to worry about!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)