Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Different Smells For Kuw

Hi,

I am currently having a taste and smell week and want to do a lesson where I have different smells for the children to guess what they are. Has anyone done anything similiar and what sort of smells did they use. Something easily recognisable and easy to hand as I'm doing this tomorrow afternoon.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Jo

lots around, our children were able to identify, coffee, orange or lemon, cat food, fish, grass, flowers, (used rose petals or pot pourri) yeast (used dried yeast and femented it children said it was beer!!)

just few i remember, the yukky smells were harder to find, just went through cupboards in kitchen smelling everything, husband thought I had 'finally lost it'

Inge

Hi

a few ideas: apples, coffee, toothpaste, oranges, lavender, onions, talcum powder, washing up liquid, fabric softener,

Hope it helps

Ruth :o

we have used this topic in the past and the most useful thing we discovered was to use cotton wool soaked in the smell ( if you get what i mean!) and then placed it in film cansiters. Have pictures of the smell ( hmm.. with me !!) and see if the smell can be matched up!!

I've also done 'smelly jellies' before, add food colouring, gelatine and scent- they love it but takes a little preparation. I also use peppermint, vinegar, washing up liquid, coffee, lemon juice,etc.

For an interesting taste investigation we have done crisp tasting - use crisps which look the same but diff flavours, they have to guess the flavour. You could do a simple recording sheet by sticking empty crisp bags on a chart if you wanted.

On our 'sensory' table the most popular smells are cloves, pot pourri and soap. I personally love the smell of aniseed, which are curious for the children to look at too.

Outside the children can find 'lemon mint ( don't know the real name for the plant) It is a plant like mint leaves. We also have a 'rosemary' plant which gives off a strong smell.

Herbs and spices are also easily available.

Have fun.

Just an idea, could you glue different herbs and spices onto card, maybe when scratched the smell would be stronger - ie: scratch cards ( never tried it, just thought of it)

Peggy

Guest DeborahF

It's lemon balm Peggy - we use that one too! Go thorugh your herbs and spices rack, there's always one or two in mine that NEVER get used. Another activity that we do which the children really enjoy is giving them lots of different herbs and spices powders and some water in the tuff spot and letting them make their own "smelly mixtures" in yoghurt pots - they really enjoy that, I suppose it's a bit like making mud pies, very satisfying!!

We make smelly trees, we go for a walk and collect twigs etc, then come back and make a tree collage, we then get cotton wool balls and dip them in different smelly lotions and stick them on the tree.

We also make spice racks, using card cut into bottle shapes with different spices stuck to them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)