Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Module 2 Supporting Child Development

Hello!

This is one of the modules we are doing at the moment and it is the one I have been dreading the most! I managed to scrape through my NVQ and Diploma using basic theories and basic language to describe them. I always seem to get in a muddle with theories and theorists and apparently this module is full of it, so I am really worried that I'm not going to do too well :o . I know it's early days, but I was wondering if there were any good books you could reccomend I try. I have the Advanced Early Years Care and Education book and I am sticking with that at the moment. I have also invested in 'Understanding Child Development - Linking Theory to Practice' by Jenny Lindon but are there any others that you just couldn't live without?

Thanks!

Thanks Hali. Do you know where I could get a copy? I have tried Google and Amazon but I'm probably looking in all the wrong places! Thanks!

Thanks for that Hali. When I types in 'How Children Learn' it came up with all sorts of books, none of them of the Practical Pre-School variety though! Thanks again, have ordered!:)

Sorry to hijack your post Clare, but can anyone recommend any books for the first module (E123) 'Working with children in the early years' too? Might the same books overlap?

Also has anybody read The Good Study Guide by Andy Northedge?

Thanks

Sorry Deb, can't help I'm afraid. I haven't even heard of that unit to be honest. Is it the same as the professional development portfolio unit?? That's our first unit.

Haven't read the book either, so can't even help with that :o

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Clare, I'm in my second year of EY foundation degree. (Roehampton/ Carshalton)

The standard course book~ Advanced Early Years Care and Education, is still sitting on my shelf in almost pristine condition! However 'Angles on Child Psychology' ~ Matt Jarvis, and the several open university texts in the 'supporting early learning series' are well thumbed.

Essential Early Years~ Dryden, is also a good basic text.

I know you have probably done your theorist presentation by now... but take a look at Dr S Baron Cohen for some modern upto date thinking.

Personally I am a Vygotsky girl, and only tend to buy books that have a greater number of Vygotskian entries than Piagetian in the index!

Best advice would be to buy a good dictionary/thesaurus, one you have read so much its difficult not to plagiarize! So read, then annotate in your own words

Guest DeborahF

Developing Early Years Practice by Linda Miller, Carrie Cable and Jane Devereux, published by David Fulton Publishers might be worth a look?

• 2 weeks later...

Very good book we were told to get as our core book is Child Development by laura berk. It is fab and is used alot.

A very good psychology book is 'understanding childrens development' by Smith, Cowie and Blades.

Child psychology - Rudolph Shaffer

Social Development - Rudolph Shaffer

I have used these books frequently

Net xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)