Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reflective Journals

I have been asked to write a reflective journal about a positive and negative situation that I have had to deal with at work recently, so I have decided to write about one major event, but detailing both the positive and negative effects of this.

Basically, a child in our care came out in a spotty rash. We tried the tumbler test as he had a very high temperature and was quite unresponsive. The tumbler test didn't really work, because we couldn't tell whether the spots were disappearing or not (poor lighting, general colour of the spots) so I called NHS Direct for advice. They insisted we take the child straight to the hospital, obviously because the symptoms I described were pointing to meningitis. They called an ambulance from there and sent it to the setting. In the meantime, I had to call the child's mother at work and explain the situation. This all happened within the space of 20 minutes or so and obviously, I didn't want to panic the parent out. She was working in London and it was an hour's journey back to the setting.

I got in contact with Mum and calmy told her the current situation. She was obviously hysterical on the phone, so I took my mobile and maintained contact with her until the ambulance arrived, right the way through until she reached the hospital almost an hour and a half later.

So, I was wondering how I would go about beginning my journal with this entry. The reason I ask is because I've been told that we have to write in Higher Education language, and obviously being new to all this, I'm not overly sure what this is! I have a feeling that if I start with "today was..." this might be too informal. Any ideas as to how I could get myself started??

Thanks!

I am not sure how to start writing in higher education lanuage. We have just been asked to write comments in them. I think I am doing it right, we get told how to do the logs next week at college. AGGGGHHH I hope I am not doing it wrong, otherwise all my hard work will be for nothing.

I will be watching this tread with interest.

Beth

Clare, don't know how much help this will be, but when I have a problem starting (and I frequently do!) I write down what I need to say either in narrative or bullets so all the information etc is in front of me. Then I read it all through, to see which way it's going.. usually that then prompts a start paragraph or so.

I usually do this on the computer, so a few quick clicks puts it all into order and saves lots of time. Of course, then I've got the problem of how to finish!! :o

Good luck,

Sue

we have taken it to mean, written and punctuated correctly, not using shortened forms of words etc...not using yourself (i/me)in written things ...but having said that if its your reflective journal then you would need to do that :)

Hi

Is the journal an ongoing thing for your course, or is it a piece of course work?

I too had to keep a journal for 'reflective practise'... many years ago and I just wrote it in my own everyday language.Just good English should be enough for anyone. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I have discovered that we write down the date, time and Critical Indent (what happened) in the first section about 2/3 of a note book, then every 3 to 4 weeks we relect upon the what happened bit in the next secetion. We are still waiting for the notes to help us understand what we have to do. :)

Beth

How about ...In terms of detailing a major event within my placement, I have decided to relate this to a serious medical dilemma/issue that occurred recently....... (blah, blah...) ???? Does that sound posh enough?

Kermit sounds about right. You could also have your original incident report as an appendix at the back, which you can refer to (see appendix A) sounds efficient!!

Good luck with it.

Liz x

• 3 weeks later...

We are still waiting for our notes on how to write in our relfective dairy. :(

Anyway last week we started to figure out what our learing styles were. We did a Honey and Mumford test, I did the same test 5 years ago and came out with reflector highest and secondly a pragmatist. Well this year I have come out with reflector highest and secondly a theorist! :wacko: Boy how does 5 years change thing around. Um thats why I am doing FDey course. Also I am a visual learner um nothing changes there then! :(

So looking at all this information I should not be having a lot of trouble writing a reflective dairy!

Must start doing my module on Core Skills for the Foundation Degree. Oh what fun this is, nobody as any idea how to start writing it up, well on the bright side we have got until mid Jan next year to hand in! :oxD:(

Beth

• 3 weeks later...

we did about these the other day at college.

the advice i would give is that the situation is too big to reflect upon.

the parts you could split up would be how you reacted to the child at first. the phone call to nhs direct. how you contacted the parent. the journey to hospital. meeting the parent you handing over the child.

the reflection should be managable.

you should be relating it to theory and as a small section you it should be more managable. we use a D.A.T.A model

I have been keeping a reflective journal and I have to say, it has transformed my whole life!! I know that sounds very dramatic! but I can honestly say it has really helped me become objective about my pre school and why and how I do things! :o It's amazing that something so small could have such a dramatic effect! xD

Edited by Guest

we did about these the other day at college.

the advice i would give is that the situation is too big to reflect upon.

the parts you could split up would be how you reacted to the child at first. the phone call to nhs direct. how you contacted the parent. the journey to hospital. meeting the parent you handing over the child.

the reflection should be managable.

you should be relating it to theory and as a small section you it should be more managable. we use a D.A.T.A model

I see you've been a member for a while but just wanted to welcome you and thanks for a most informative post with such sound advice. :D

Could you explain what D.A.T.A. is ?

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)