Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Aaaah Laptop Totally Crashed

When I turned my laptop on yesterday I got a black screen and the message " Operating system not found"

HELP- Where has it gone? How can I retrieve it? Will I lose everything?

LUCKILY I use hubbies computor to get onto the forum and have all the dowloads I've got from the forum, on his computor too :D

and

LUCKILY I have most of my preschool work on a seperate hardrive and saved to CD.

BUT - I've got all the childrens photo's from Summer term and this term on my laptop and some precious family photo's, plus lots of stuff I haven't saved to CD including last years accounts AAAHHHH

Peggy

ahhhhh,

i also lost my operating system but on my desk top computer (luckily i had laptop as reserve!) anyway long story short we had to reinstall the whole system again using system recovery disks, this meant i lost all my work and files. Lukily for me i had just handed in my dissertation, had it have happened a week or so earlier i would have lost an 8000 word project!.

I wish you luck in sorting this out

Dawn

My computer expert! says PANIC!!

Do you have a floppy drive and if so, could there be a disk in it? If yes, remove it and try again.

Could indicate a hard drive failure and you are probably best getting expert help although there are some ways you could try to retrieve this they are not easily sorted unless you have some expertise. Can you phone the manufacurers helpline?

OH NO!! I'm afraid it i very bad news. As said above, your hard drive could have gone totally (in which case you'll need a new computer).

At the very least you will have lost all your files and will need to get the Operating System (i.e. Windows) re-installed.

I am so sorry. I hope you haven't lost too much.

Good luck.

Sparkle.

Hi Peggy

I asked my husband what he thought and he said to get an expert to look at it, as it might not be as bad as you are fearing.

Without getting too technical, there are several problems that would cause that error message ranging from a simple re-load of windows to a completely damaged hard drive. He's seen that message on computers where he works (he's responsible for I.T) and been able to recover complete data but he's also seen the same message and lost everything. If the data is valuable you can often send it away for retrieval and they can usually retrieve a large portion but it's pricey.

Good luck - hope you can get it sorted :o

Peggy, our computer broke last week, wouldnt switch on at all. A very nice man changed the mother board and power thing without losing anything. Dont know if it's related to your problem but good luck. :D

Thanks a lot for your advise and support.

Hubby thinks he can 'extract' the hard drive and somehow copy it onto his computor, but I'm not sure because my programmes are more current than his. :o

If not succcessful, Hubby is going to take it to an 'expert' tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Peggy

Fingers crossed. I know how you feel. My husband very helpfully once loaded 'better and more up to date software' onto the computer. Unfortunately this meant him wiping a lot of stuff - don't ask me why - think its a bloke thing to search and destroy (sorry lads!) antway when I asked if he had saved the last 2 years of family photos and holidays ha said. 'Oh were they on here?'!!!!! :o

Needless to say I have never put anything on our family PC since without backing it up! xD

My head last week lost 5 hours work and 11 pages of our SEF when her lap top died. :( She now backs up practically every 5 minutes!

I really feel for you Peggy.

Liz x

Well I have some good news, I just checked my digital camera's films 2 X 8mgb and one 32 mgb, luckily, although I had downloaded the pics to my laptop I hadn't deleted them from the memory cards. SAVED about 120 pics from this term :D

Shows how many I take :oxD

Hopefully I'll have even better news tomorrow after hubbys seen the 'expert'.

Thanks again for all the " You're not alone messages"

Peggy