Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Am I Being Too Negative?

Guest MaryEMac

Guest MaryEMac

I just wanted to ask this question because today three of my staff were discussing Christmas (sorry, it's only october), and they decided that it would be nice for the children to sing the 12 days of Christmas at our end of term service. They then said that we would need to start practising next week so that they would know it !!!!!! One of them then said " Yes we will have to start practising for the nativity play as well when we come back from half term".

Bearing in mind that we will have approx 20 children by Christmas and at least 6 of them will be under 3, one has very limited understanding and at least 4 have to be strongly encouraged to do anything we suggest. Also a lot of them only attend for 2 sessions so wouldn't get all the practises and if the service falls on a day when they don't come to the group then they won't come to the service.

I suggested that we just try one because I'd rather do one thing well than two things badly. I got the feeling that they thought I didn'y want them to do anything. I do want them to try new things but I don't want to overload the children and also on a selfish note I can't stand the thought of two and a half months of The twelve days of Christmas.!!

Any ideas anyone and I'm sorry about the early use of the C word.

Mary

No mention of the 'c' word in my classroom until Dec 1st. If you start too soon the children will be well and truly fed up by then. No I don't think you are being negative there is plenty of time and I agree with Andreamay if the children need that long to learn it perhaps something else would better suited.

I posted last year the Elves and the shoemaker as a play for Christmas don't no where you would find it but its quite good for young children. lots of coming and going and hiding

There is a christmas forum where you should find anyhting you posted previously..

here

I would find it had leaning 12 days of christmas with my nursery so I wouldnt toucvh that persoannly. But then Im one of those very grumpy people that hates the hype and 3 months of Christmas that seems to get longer each year... oooohh it bringd out the very worst in me...

Have you considered asking if you could leanr another song instead, one thqat would fit in with the nativity?

I personally think that the 12 days of Christmas has no relevance at all to the children, it wouldn't make any sense to them. ie: What is a Partridge, have they ever seen one? or a 'Calling bird' for that matter. :o

Short, sharp, simple and FUN, that's what Christmas should be about. :D

Peggy

We will start our nativity the last week in November which is early for us but we're having our presentation a little earlier too. It will be very simple, based on the Nativity. Agree with everyonelse, after half term far too early and Twelve Days of Christmas not really relevant.

I have difficulty remembering all the bits to the twelve days of C so what chance do young children have?? And I think it's quite tedious and boring-apologies to anybody who absolutely loves it! :o

There are lots of lovely simple songs out there that you could use-so no you are not being too negative.

Linda

Guest MaryEMac

Thanks everyone for your comments and am glad that I'm not the only one who doesn't want Christmas to last for three months. I had a thought last night that we could do a nativity tableau at the end of term service in church instead of a song, with an adult reading the story and the children appearing when needed. I may firmly suggesr that today, I am the leader after all :o

Mary

How did you get on Mary? I thought about you at lunch time as the wrods to Frosty The Snowman were being sung when I walked past the singing club :o

Mary, that sounds really lovely. Hope your staff will agree. The audience always love childrens performances and I dont think they need to be well polished, the spontaneity is one of things that make it so delightful.

I went to a nursery Christmas party last year where the finale was the Christmas story. Joseph balked at the sight of an audience and removed his costume. One of the kings also got stage fright and the Innkeeper forgot his words! But nevertheless it was delightful. I felt privileged to have been invited.

I agree with everyone else about the traditional 12 days of Christmas, but to compromise with your staff couldn't you do a 2006 version with perhaps 5 days?

The children could think of things they would like to receive, design and make costumes/hats to wear to link in with the objects and you could use different instruments for different objects. That way all children will be involved either dressed up/performing, percussion or just singing.

Only you know your children though and this may be too much for them aswell?

Guest MaryEMac

Just a quick update. Went in on Thursday and apologised for being negative and then told them that we would not be doing the 12 days of Christmas as the children would not be able to cope with it. I then put forward my suggestion for the Nativity Tableau for the church service and they were positive, as was the vicar when I spoke to him about it. But my deputy wouldn't let me have the last word and said that we would need to start thinking about costumes after half term!!!!!!!!!! I thought that I

would ask the parents to provide those.

We also thought that Hali's idea of only rehearsing on the same day of the week that you hold the performance is a good idea, then you are guaranteed your cast.

Thanks one and all for your thoughts and comments :D

Mary

I agree with everything that has been posted - the children seem far too young to have to be put through such an ordeal (Lol - sorry) practitioners these days can often forget about child development and the stage of a childs understanding - it doesnt focus very much in the training, as an advisor im often talk ing to staff about children with behavioural difficulties and quite a lot - its about the lack of understanding staff have of the childs development, activities are too difficult and language is at too high a level

you tell em!!