Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Water And Sand Play

Hi all,

Can anyone give me info on what kind of sand and water equipment they have in their settings. We have a small, highly unsuitable sand tray and an old, quite unsafe water tray. I would like to buy a new one or two but finances are limited and one for both purposes is more likely to be bought. What do you have in your setting? Is water and sand available all the time? We are in a village hall with limited space and the added obstacle of having to get things out and put them away everyday and our outdoor space is very small. We would love to have an area especially for the purpose but it is not possible so sand and water comes out every now and then rather than all the time.

Please let me know what you have and what you would reccommend.

Thanks

Emma x

Hi Emma

I have had various sand and water trays over the years. We to are in a village hall and have to set up each day. Most things are big and clumsy to store as well.

At last I think i have the perfect solution. Builders trays. We usually have sand in one and it can go on a table or the floor. (Children seem to like it on the floor).

Sometimes we leave it in over night because the trays will rest on top of equipment for storage, but if we need to empty it we tip the sand into a curver box.

We also put water in the other one or some times we put water in the rectangular seed trays you buy at garden centres. These put on tables are nice and easy for young children to access and safe as well.(and easy to put away, which is a must)

Glen

I really, really love the community playthings sand and water trays, BUT they are very expensive,so if you're on a budget, they're probably not for you though they WOULD last a lifetime.............or ten!.I also think the Cascade sand/water tray (most of the big toy catalogues such as Galt,SBS etc sell it) is brilliant.Don't forget though that dry sand has broadly similar properties to water in that it pours and flows, so you could use it in place of water some days.Wet sand is completely different, great for moulding, shaping etc, so just add some water to the dry stuff every now and again!you can also buy a lid for this tray, so it would double as a table when the sand is packed away for the day.It has water locks, slopes and side "lips" to add interest.

thanks everyone, you have given me much to think about. big thanks to you Glen who gave me a link to her preschool website. I've had a sneaky peak and aswell as seeing some fab water and sand play using the builders tray, I have had a good look around the whole web site and it looks great. Well done and if you don't mind i may just pinch a few lay out ideas. we don't have a web site, but for parent displays and info folders it would work just aswell. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Emma :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)