Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Physical Restraint Policy

karenls

Hi

Does anyone have a Physical Restraint Policy I could look at please?

We've just re-started our Quality Assurance (after previous manager left unexpectedly), and realised we haven't got one.

I've Googled but only found ones for Care Homes and it doesn't really cover 2-4 year olds.

I've been thrown in the deep end as Manager of a Playgroup and just started the NVQ4 CCLD too.

Paperwork is in, Social life is out :o

Thanks for your help.

Karen :)

Just wanted to Welcome you to the forum karenls, :D

I can't help with query as all my policies are on laptop at work.

Sounds like you are in the deep end but your certainly won't drown now you've found this forum ( pun intended :D )

Good luck with the playgroup and your studies, but save some time for a social life and that includes visits to this friendly forum :D

Peggy

Hi Karen, wanted to welcome you too, it appears that everyone on this site has a mountain of paperwork, commitments and is studying too, you are in good company. :D:D:D

Hi,

We have physical restraint as part of the behaviour policy which states:

Behaviour that is unacceptable will be dealt with in a calm, consistent and patient manner in order for the child to regain self-control. The setting does not use physical punishment (slapping, smacking or hitting) in any form. However, it may be necessary to use restraining action in an emergency to prevent personal injury or serious damage to property. Any such incident will be recorded and the parent/carer informed of the incident when they collect the child.

It goes on to say:

Staff will handle unacceptable behaviour in a calm but authoritative manner. If, for any reason, a member of staff feels a situation is slipping out of their control, another member of staff should take over and the first should move away. Children should never feel intimidated or upset by the manner of an adult and as such, adults should remember to talk to children at their level.

So I guess you could combine the two to make a stand alone policy? I think it would come under behaviour as it does in the National Standards:

11.5 Adults do not use any form of physical intervention, e.g. holding, unless

it is necessary to prevent personal injury to the child, other children, an

adult or serious damage to property. Any incident is recorded and the

parent informed of the incident on the day.

It's a good point to raise, though! Oh, and don't let the paperwork get you down - we're all here to help if you need it! :D

Thanks for that Running Bunny. It's not in our Behaviour Policy and I hadn't thought of putting it there. It will be tonight though! :D

Thanks for all your welcomes too. It's nice to know there are friends out there who know what you are going through.

Karen :)

There are some existing policies on 'google' for other schools if you search for 'physical restraint policy', don't know if they will help for your setting but might give you some ideas if you get stuck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)