Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wonderful Day

Today we have had a Ghanaian storyteller/ musician/artist/drummer. She was wonderful! What a great day:D

Miso’shi Drumming, story telling, dance, food & Global Citizenship Ghanaian

85 The Farthings,

Astley Village,

Chorley PR7 ISH 01257 278745 misoshi@aol.com

Sounds very interesting Marion, I had similar group to my preschool ( similar in terms of nationality) but unfortunately the session would have been better suited to older children than my 2-4 yr olds.

Tell us more, how did the children react?, it will be interesting to hear what they say about it a few days after the event. What it really meant to them. :D

Peggy

Hopefully tomorrow I will have the photographs and the children's comments.

Misoshi started the day with a whole school assembly to introduce herself to the children and as she pointed out many of our children have no experience of people from other cultures. She talked about her origins and asked the children to clap out the syllables in her name in Africa and in Ghana(very rhythmic with everyone moving and dancing) The she demonstarted her clothes to the children and with the help of one of our smallest nursery children she showed how a Ghanaian mother would carry her child (hands free) with the help of her clothes.

In the Unit she told stories that had alot of actions related to the characters/events which we all joined in. This was turned into a dance with the addition of music. We then clapped and drummed the syllables in the character names. The children (even one boy who started nursery for the first time today ) were totally engrosed.

Later the children used Ghanaian wood blocks to print their own 'African' material which we hope to display in the unit.

The children asked lots of questions and were eager to share the information with their parents at the end of the day.

She sounds very professional and warm, children are the best judges of people aren't they, and if a child let her pick him/her up in front of the school ( hands free) then she must have what I call the child factor. :D

Sounds like a great time had by all. :D

Peggy

Wow! Marion, sounds great!

We have a wonderful Dad who will come in and drum for us - both his young sons are with us, the older one is just sooo good at drumming, younger one already coming on! Dad will bring drumming friends , so it's really great!

Sue

We organised the sessions through a NorthEast Arts group called The Forge so the cost was subsidised .

Misoshi says she travels all over the country

Her details are

Miso’shi Drumming, story telling, dance, food & Global Citizenship Ghanaian

85 The Farthings,

Astley Village,

Chorley PR7 ISH

01257 278745

email misoshi@aol.com

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)