Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stories For Colourful Celebrations Topic

hi,

I am doing the topic colourful celebrations next term but dont really have any books to go with it. I work with special needs children so the books need to be simple. Does any one have any good ideas.

Thanks

Also just thought to ask-has anyone got any ideas what our role play area can be?

Jo

Edited by Guest

I would start this by looking at the celebrations that will happening next term such as Chinese new year etc and perhaps Birthdays.

Do you have a school library service that you could access for resources?

Have a party for your role play?

Hi jop, hope you don't mind, but can I hijack your topic? :o or maybe I could just hop on board when the replies start arriving?

We too have chosen the theme of CELEBRATIONS for next half term (Nov/Dec) and was just about to post a query re; activities, songs, role play etc. when I came across your topic. THANKS!

Try this link for some planning ideas. I think it mentions suggested books? I work in a Pre School (kiddies age 2.5yrs - 4yrs old) so we want something quite simple yet vibrant. Any suggestions out there?

Guest DeborahF

There's a book by Penny Tassoni called Planning for the Foundation Stage that has a nice topic on "Parties" - maybe you could link that in with Celebrations? Some nice activities in there if you can get hold of a copy.

Hi jop, just found these (all available on Amazon.)

Lanterns and Firecrackers: A Chinese New Year Story, Eight Candles to Light: A Chanukah Story, Apples and Honey: A Rosh Hashanah Story, Sweet Dates to Eat: Ramadan and Eid Story I haven't actually seen any of these books, so unable to recommend, but thought they sounded interesting.

see topic below for good resource for festivals, you can get ot using Elcs see post 21 for link. our children love ot ans start ot of self initiated learning from copying it, just make sure you have resources on hand for them to have a go, they then recap by watching again and discussin what they had done and how they would change it if they tried again.

festivals dvd

Inge

I know that it isn't really the right time of year but when we did cultures we had a Mexican Fiesta. we made a cheap pinata, guacamole and salsa, spoke Spanish and made papel picado to decorate our marquee.

Papel Picado are folded tissue paper squares that the children cut shapes from, glue onto string by folding over at the top and decorate!!

Lots of info via google on papel picado, mexican festivals etc.

Not 'story' related but came across this whilst looking for inspiration for our Celebrations theme next half term. I've only glanced at the site, but it looks quite interesting. Hope you find something useful.

the link doesn't appear to be giving access

I'll try something else

www.hamiltoneducation.org.uk

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)